Thread: Mapping with wood splinters

Question Mapping with wood splinters

(Working in Gimp)
    I want to create a map that looks like it was inked onto an unpolished wood table years ago. So that means that the table needs to have for one oilish stains from heavy use of hands and arms as well as stains from writing utensils, food and drink, and other things. This I think I can accomplish as well as I would like with plasma and channel mixing I think. However what I can't figure out is how I might have missing splinters of wood from say nervous cartography students with sharp objects. Anyone have any ideas?
    What I have so far:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...9&d=1299183961

Most especially I want to mark up the inner land shadow. Oh and if it could be accomplished without brushing, that would be ideal

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Okay. I think I have found a good way to do this is to:
    1. new file
    2. fill with color of choice
    3. add noise. I used hsv noise with the settings 2, 3, 10, 83 for holdness, hue, saturation, then value.
    4. motion blur. 90 degrees, 25 length.
    5. duplicate layer, desaturate, 40% opacity, mode = soft light
    6. cartoon
    7. lwarp to add in knots if you want them. For my project I didn't.

My question now though is if it is possible to have a layer that doesn't add pixels but instead applies a series of filters and/or color changes to the layers below it. I really would like to use these kind of rough wood effects to about 10 different layers, but not to a couple others, and I would like to not have to flatten everything.
    Last edited by Sam Conifer; 03-04-2011 at 12:32 AM.
    Some useful cartography facts:
    Circumference (C) of the Earth is about 25,000 miles or 40,000 km.
    Highest point on Earth is 5.5 miles (8.9 km) above sea level (ASL/BSL).
    Lowest point of land on Earth is 1/4 mile (0.4 km) BSL.
    Lowest elevation in the ocean is 6.8 miles (10.9 km) BSL.

And our solar system:
    C of Jupiter = 279,118 miles (449,197 km).
    Highest mountain is Olympus Mons on Mars. It is 16 miles high (24 km) and is the size of Arizona.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I have some ideas as to how to do splinters but I have not the vocabulary to express them. It's kind of hard to explain.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Not relevant to your question, but how are you uploading and inlining without creating thumbnails? What are you doing?
    I am unfamiliar with what inlining is, but wiki says "In various versions of the C and C++ programming languages, an inline function is a function upon which the compiler has been requested to perform inline expansion. In other words, the programmer has requested that the compiler insert the complete body of the function in every place that the function is called, rather than generating code to call the function in the one place it is defined. (However, compilers are not obligated to respect this request.)" But man that is so over my head.

What I am doing is I'll start a post, write a bunch of things that are in my head, then at some point I'll think that it would be a grand idea to insert a visual in a particular place. First I'll make sure I am not in "Post Quick Reply." If I am then I select all the text, press control+C, change to advanced, then paste. Usually though I just post in advanced at the start. Once I have my text in the more advanced mode I will THEN click on my profile, click on albums:more, click on the album folder I want - if its not there I create it, select the image I want - if its not there I upload it, then listed beneath the image are of course both the url and image gibberish. I then copy the url gibberish, and press the forbidden backward navigate button on the web browser until I get back to my post. Even though the current clipboard selection (if that is the right language) is just the url of the picture I want to use, my previous text still remains on the page when I back up to it. I then just control+V the url.

I have some ideas as to how to do splinters but I have not the vocabulary to express them. It's kind of hard to explain.
    Okay, that's cool. Let me just plug in my neural link. I know I left it on top of the trans-digital freon convertor. Oh wait... I'm back in reality.

----------------------------------------------------
    Gidde had a post that hinted at the manage attachments button, so I think I'm all figured out in that respect. Thanks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map 2502.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	378.1 KB 
ID:	34118
    Last edited by Sam Conifer; 03-05-2011 at 02:33 AM.

And our solar system:
    Highest mountain is Olympus Mons on Mars. It is 16 miles high (24 km) and is the size of Arizona.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

You can also just type stuff in the quick reply, then hit Go Advanced -- it will save everything you already typed

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I prefer using textures for things like this, I did a quick search on Google Images, using "distressed wood" as a search term and got a lot of things that might be useful for what (it sounded like to me) you were after.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...:0&tx=82&ty=87

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...:0&tx=66&ty=61

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1201&bih=875

At the very least they make decent reference images for making your own masks or however you want to approach it.

**that actually gives me a great idea, we have a cutting board that's nearly 100 years old, i should scan it in!!
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 03-06-2011 at 02:29 AM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Wow, thanks for the textures. I had been using other textures as references from various web sources, but I have never known anything about distressing before. And if you get a chance to scan that 100 year old cutting board that would be awesome!

And our solar system: