Thread: real relief reference

Guild Novice

Default real relief reference

if you want to compare you own generated relief with mother-nature one, or if you just need inspiration, you can go to this site http://www.maps-for-free.com/
    don't forget to remove all the unneeded layers (google, waterbodies)

FWIW
    Pyer

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wow, that's pretty cool.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I know it's a little late, but this is awesome. Thanks!

Loved it, bookmarked it! Thanks for bringing this post back up! I need it and hadn't seen it before.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

This adds a real perspective to the way the roads and towns work with the landscape. A great exploratory tool

Thanks to Pyer for the original post. Been looking for something like this recently with little success!! Have some rep !
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Awesome! Just being able to see the relief of the area where I live in such resolution is something I've been hankering for. Repped to the extent of my ability
    "Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities, truth isn't."
    -- Samuel Langhorne Clemens a.k.a. Mark Twain. (1897) Following the Equator.