Thread: Map inspired doodle

Default Map inspired doodle

I haven't posted anything in a few weeks, maybe I was in a slump, but I was meditating on a commission I am working on. So, as I sat at my desk one afternoon I began doodling just because I needed an idea for one of the locations. I'm still not certain if I will use this concept but it's purpose is to be an epic location on the map.

I figured I would just share the scribbles so it didn't seem like I dried up under a rock somewhere. This is just a concept picture so it's not fully polished. Who knows, maybe it'll inspire an idea of your own.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skultop.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	439.5 KB 
ID:	34228  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Pretty. Reminds me of a map in a recent Paizo product...a citadel for some faction or other of Cheliaxian Hellknights I think. Looking forward to seeing how your map comes out. Man, I gotta get me somma that Djekspek mojo someday. I dig this ISO art/map style but can never seem to pull it off.
    M

Nice color and atmosphere. I think this idea must be used futher.

May be some dead trees added.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the lil path but not sure about the "wavy-line mtn method" for an isolated mtn like this. Still, though, the execution is great, man. Nice work.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Super cool with an awesome mood, Jax! I'd love to see more of your hand-drawn stuff too--I get the impression that you are an amazing artist adapting his skills to the digital world and I wonder what your stuff looks like on paper...

Anyway, keep this up and people will start asking you to do book/concept art!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments, I'm glad it was well received.

LOL, that would be awesome RE. I'll probably have to brush up on my humanoid drawing though.

@Ascension - I know what you mean on the wavy mountain idea. It was sort of a cross of testing out using that for basic drawn mountains and trying to fit it into this doodle. It didn't work totally but I expect to use this method in a map one of these days soon.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

pretty awsome , I wonder what life would be like if we ALL had skull mountain homes... but yes vary nice -- I like how even the hill formations make sense geographically WHILE leading the eye.

If we all had skull mountain homes, they'd be prosaic and uninteresting. Think about how many things you experience everyday that would be the most incredible thing a medieval person had ever seen. Then think about how utterly ordinary you find, say, lighting a room with a flick of your finger.

Of course, anyone who really deserves a skull mountain home will keep anyone else from building one.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks great Jax ... nice colors and mood in the drawing.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise