Thread: Cellar

Wip Cellar

Actually, I could post this as a finished map, since it's what I'm actually using, but I thought it might be a good exercise to work to pretty it up a little. I'm open to suggestions. All work in GIMP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cellarmap.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	34185  

Wip

Okay, I've used some standard GIMP textures for the floor, stairs, doors, and tables.

Name:	cellarmap_plus.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	34192  

Quick suggestion on the labels. They're much easier to read if you have the letters following each other and rotate the whole word rather than rotating individual letters.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like the "non pretty" version better IMO it makes for a very good map. If you were to fix your labels as Ravs suggested I think you'd be all set
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Wip

Rotated the text. Added some more color and have attempted some representation of the light sources (a lantern on one table and a wall cabinet with a magical light inside left ajar). I still need to figure out how to "prettify" the barrels.

Name:	cellarmap_plus2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	34317  

Blog Entries

It looks pretty good. Your light source is a little"regular" Light doesn't usually come from its source in such a linear shape. Try drawing a irregular circle with the lasso tool that starts over the middle of your light source and extends out about half the way that your "triangle" does now. Fill it with your gradient and try different opacity settings until it looks like a pool of light. (obviously you'll want to do this on a new layer)
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Default Blur?

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    It looks pretty good. Your light source is a little"regular" Light doesn't usually come from its source in such a linear shape. Try drawing a irregular circle with the lasso tool that starts over the middle of your light source and extends out about half the way that your "triangle" does now. Fill it with your gradient and try different opacity settings until it looks like a pool of light. (obviously you'll want to do this on a new layer)
    You could also try a Gaussian blur on the light sources. Blur the light level different amounts to see what looks good to you. The same might work for the light in the center of the room. As jtougas said, make sure the lights are on a different level than the rest of the map. (Even better, put each light on their own individual level!)
    I think I've had this Deja Vu before...

Blog Entries

Good tip sambrookjm. Also I forgot to mention to try different layer styles on your light. I use overlay mostly but some others can produce interesting effects

Finished Maps