Thread: Test Run

Guild Member

Help Test Run

I'm using Pasis' tutorial on rendering terrain in Photoshop. His tutorial is here.

I did the background layer in FM8 [basically the sea and plains], then used my Snag-It software to create a PNG file of this one section of my overall map. From there I imported it into PS and started working on the terrain.

Here is what I have done as far as test runs go:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TestRun.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	34189

Certainly I will play with textures, colors and what not on the mountains.

I'm having problems, however, raising the mountains to levels I want. Although this size mountains will definitely be needed elsewhere on my maps, they are far too shallow and low for this particular mountain range. Pasis states in his tutorial that you can alter the highs and lows in your cloud layer by:

"This layer is responsible for the bumpiness of the background, so if you want to have more highs and lows then you can create a temporary document with higher resolution and make the clouds there. Then just resize the clouds to fit you primary work document and paste the clouds there. That is just what I will do here, so I create a temporary document of 1400x1000px and render the clouds there. Then resize it to 700x500px and copy/paste it to my primary WIP."

This is the only step in the entire document I am clueless about so far. How do I create a temp document, then resize, then copy paste into my WIP? Any help appreciated!!

I guess that would be create a new, separate image of twice the size of your current document. Once you've filled it with clouds then scale the whole image down to the size of your working image and import it into your work as a new layer. For "temp document" read "new document that can be used and discarded", although you could always keep it around for future, similar requirements.