Thread: Introduction and purpose

Default Introduction and purpose

Hello everyone!

I have been lurking this site for a few years now. I run weekly campaigns and have found this site to be a great help when running store-bought modules. I have utilized a lot of maps from this site and I thank you all.

I have run games for over 20 years and have played D&D almost from inception. I have also played a few other rpgs, Cthulu and Earthdawn, among them, but I enjoy D&D the most. Building a world of your own is a wonderful thing, but when you continue with a career, the time to do this shrinks dramatically; so relying on modules becomes crucial. Getting maps for the players can be a challenge, though.

I used to print out maps, but with monitors becoming so affordable, I found that purchasing a 25 inch ASUS flat monitor, taking the stand off and laying it on the table with a Plexiglas protective screen works fantastically for our purposes. We then use Maptool to layout the maps. With the maps provided from this site gaming has been very smooth the past few years.

Then I realized that I have to contribute. I have relied to long on the work of other kind posters. I purchased Campaign Cartographer several years ago but never sat down and really used it. There was a campaign coming up that I found no maps to my liking and decided to learn it while constructing the granddaddy of castles for the upcoming campaign: Castle Ravenloft.

I started last September and completed all 10 floors at the end of December. We started playing that month and I am now designing the maps for the encounters leading up to it.

I really want to share what I am doing and will be starting a new post in the proper discussion group for this purpose. The biggest challenge will be learning how to post these maps correctly, which will require a lot of reduction, formatting, etc. I will be asking for advice on this in that forum. I am by no means an accomplished web poster, so please forgive me for any silly mistakes I may make.

I hope that the work I have done will help repay all of the help I have received from this site these past few years.

Thank you, everyone.

Well then accept an official welcome to the guild. I for one look forward to seeing what you have been working on.

Posting is pretty simple, you will want to use the "attach" (paper clip icon) when it comes to posting your images. That will post them with a thumbnail that can be clicked on to enlarge. Also, images can be up around 4MB in size so you hopefully won't have to reduce it too much. Whatever filetype you have it saved as you will want to create a .jpg version for posting. That may require an 'export' or 'save as..' from within your software, I think you said CC which I don't know anything about. You can always use the 'Go Advanced' button in the bottom right corner to double check what your post will look like before you post it.

That's just a really quick run down of posting here so don't be afraid to ask questions if anything is unclear. I'm waiting for someone to pull up in front of my house right now so I can't get too detailed
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild! I'm really looking forward to seeing your castle, too, so don't just post up the WIPs

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Guild
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I am probably going to post in the Dungeon/Subterranean Mapping thread first, as WIPs. I am doing this because I still have a bit to learn and may end up editing these as I get advice. I just got the renderings completed for the first floor and grounds, so you should see my post there tonight.

Thanks!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild!

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave