Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rhadamantys - The Old City and the Sea

Wip Rhadamantys - The Old City and the Sea

After a very long absence (state exams are pretty time consuming) I return to the guild with a small but important map. Like many of my other works, Rhadamantys is part of a roleplaying world. The map will also be used by the players, hence the clean and simple style. There is a legend to the map, but I'm not sure whether or not to upload it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rhadamantys.pdf 
Views:	561 
Size:	929.2 KB 
ID:	34203

Once, Rhadamantys was founded by pilgrims of two different cultural backgrounds that have merged over the centuries, making it an extremely wealthy city. But the wrath of a storm goddess constantly threatens the place, and no one but a young novice knows about it- a time for heroes to step in and rescue the city!

Critique is highly appreciated!

PS: The main island, the keep island and the palace island are taken from real maps- can you guess which islands I took? (Hint: one of them is in Germany, two lie in the Mediterrenean Sea)
    Now that the warm fuzzy part is over we can get back to the ritual dismemberments. Oh wait, it's not Tuesday is it?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm not sure about having a coliseum on an island like that (major foot-traffic problems) but otherwise, cool.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I thought about that problem myself, but since most people travel by boat and not per pedes, it should not be that much of a problem, don't you think?
    Now that the warm fuzzy part is over we can get back to the ritual dismemberments. Oh wait, it's not Tuesday is it?

Thanks They're all hand-drawn, none of these islands have canals (at least none that would be seen on a map). As you may have guessed, a major inspiration was Venice (also for the map style, if you check the maps on wikipedia). But about the island shapes... you have to guess Small hint: One of them is a Balearic island!

UPDATE

Changed a bit about the style to make the different parts of the city show up more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tagged_map.pdf 
Views:	177 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	34247

But somehow it seems the map is waaay too big by now :/

Lovely work. Size seems no issue, at least in the pdf document that is. One minor point would be the numbers for the grid reference: have you considered rotating them 90° so that they read from the inside out? They look a bit like fractions in their current incarnation.

I like the glyphs denoting the city sectors too.

Update:

This is another (and slightly changed) version of the map which will be presented to players.

I tried to give it a more hand-drawn like look, so I traced the original islands in Illustrator and put them back into PS. I also reduced the number of highlighted buildings- this version only shows public buildings. It is supposed to be a real map given to strangers in the town, drawn by hand onto some old paper that happened to be at hand (a palimpsest, so to say), hence the parts of scripture still visible.

Still this is only another experiment, if you have a brillant idea how to improve the picture then please let me know
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails la-citta.pdf  

Blog Entries

Dude this is freaking awesome!! What is it for? It looks marvelously detailed!

Thanks It's just a handout for players. I am currently preparing a campaign that takes place in this "lost" city. (lost meaning that the city is not directly connected to the real world but is in some sort of close parallel universe due to a forgotten curse. A bit of Atlantis is in it, but obviously there's also Venice and (maybe less obvious) ancient Rome)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast