Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Regional practice

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    That's so weird! I was thinking that same thing. It needs a couple of Ernie Chan Picts up in the corners.
    Can't agree more :-)
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Ooh, those fields are fantastic!

I really love the hills with the creepy crawly tree breaks...just fantastic.

Ascension! It's so good to see you breaking out of the box into things different!

I agree with everyone else's comments. The changes to the fields to incorporate some trees and hills are a really nice touch. My only suggestion at this point might be for the hills on the middle right to thin out a bit in some spots. Anyway, I really dig this map. Your grasslands have inspired me and I expect to get back to my region map soon and use that technique.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yep...I made a few changes the other day before I got sidetracked with something yesterday. I was thinking about things to put on a map and ended up with 100 pages of text and still not done...I'm calling it my "big list o stuff". Once I get a little bit more done on the map I'll post it up. I'll post up the list as well once I get it organized.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Yep...I made a few changes the other day before I got sidetracked with something yesterday. I was thinking about things to put on a map and ended up with 100 pages of text and still not done...I'm calling it my "big list o stuff". Once I get a little bit more done on the map I'll post it up. I'll post up the list as well once I get it organized.
    Heh.. so we should call this the map of "Kit-Chen Sink"??? :-)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'm trying to avoid putting everything in so that's why I started the list. I figured that if I had a list of things I could pick and choose what to use and what not to use in order to keep things coherent at a regional level. At a world or continent level, sure, everything goes in but at this scale I don't want it to look hodgepodge or thrown together...I want my biomes to make sense. Tabletia was more about putting everything in and as I look back at it it is rather scram gravy. Anyway, back to my editing.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Holy cows! I don't think it would be possible for me to come up with 100 pages of things to put on my maps. I'm struggling to come up with enough stuff it seems like. That's amazing.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Well, it started with swamps, mountains, forest, rivers, and towns. Then I added compass, scale, lat/long lines, rhumb lines, neat lines, etc. Then I thought about icons for things like cattle, gold, teepees, etc. Then I started thinking about those illustrations that you always see in the corners of maps so I started thinking up specific things like olive tree, bread loaf, wagon wheel, goblin, mandrake, holy water, and then before I knew it I had more than I could keep track of so I started putting these things into groups like trees, flowers, reagents, monsters, etc. This lead to more groups, and so on and so on. Then I was like, that's a pretty weak list of trees...better check somewhere to find the rest that I can't remember. So 99% of it is more about giving me ideas for stories/plots//illustrations. When I start making a list my obsessive side just totally takes over. It's all unnecessary but it's kind of fun. Right now I'm straightening out the flora, minerals, reagents, metals, elements sections (stuff for spell-casting/alchemy) and once that's done I'll try to condense things with tables or colors or something. After that is fauna and monsters, professions, fabrics, etc. It's all about having ideas for when one gets a blockage...pick out a few things from the list and boom, you've got an idea to start writing or drawing.

Like this little gem I found - Abrus precatoris "jequirity" - a vine whose berries are two orders of magnitude deadlier than ricin, less than 3 micrograms can kill a human but the seeds are used in jewelry. Imagine if your assassin had to quest to Indonesia (where it grows) to get some of that in order to make a very nasty poison to kill some hero or king. The lapidaries who make the jewelry often die by poking their fingers with the needles. So imagine some princess who wants a necklace and you have to get some of the stuff then find someone brave enough to do the work. The leaves can be made into a tea that acts as an aphrodisiac...native medicine but who knows how well it works. Three good stories from just one little vine.

That's really nice. Too many great features to note them all but I really love the "shard" mountains in the northeast and the "caterpillar" forests on the hills (they should be tree ent herds!) This is the beginnings of Featured Map material. I'm already jealous. Have some rep in advance...I know this is going to turn out awesome!
    M

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast