Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: InnerSOL, a map

Mercury rotates 3 times for every 2nd orbit around the sun, if I remember correctly. It could be feasible for deep subterranean facilities to exist, and since the energy gained from solar collectors would be incredible, it could be a good base for high-return industries that require enormous amounts of power. The facilities could be manned on a fly-in, fly-out basis when the heat build up in the facilities are too great.

Venus, well, if they have invested the time and money into terraforming Mars, perhaps some radical gas-farming and compression in the atmosphere of Venus has been achievable enough to make habitation viable?
    Last edited by Ryan K; 03-24-2011 at 12:50 AM.
    Regards,

RK

nice job
    well done

I think I recall EE mentioning over at the CBG that the Venusian colonies float above the heavier parts of the atmosphere and avoid a lot of the nastiness, of course, I'm sure EE could tell you about them himself better than I could.

Sorry for not replying in a timely manner, I have been quite busy with midterms and papers the last few weeks. Let me first say, Thank you to all of you for responding to my humble map. I appreciate all of your comments!

Attached to this post is an updated map which implemented many of your amazing suggestions! Let me know what you think : )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New System.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	34666

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    The flags are a great touch IMO they might look better if they were centered along the top. You could move the map title to the bottom of the map.
    Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I agree with jtougas r.e. centering the flags and moving the title to the bottom. Also, there are some space stations etc. that seem to be independent; what about putting their flags next to the actual entity in the map itself, rather than along the borders? It might add some more visual pop to the whole project.
    Hmm, I have toyed with that very idea. In my latest update, I'll put a few test flags in

Quote Originally Posted by wormspeaker View Post
    Sweet map there. I love the addition of the "Island 3" type orbital colonies.
    Thanks! I've always loved the Island 3 Orbital Colony, I really felt compelled to use it as the base construction type for my Colony Clusters

Quote Originally Posted by Omnigeek6 View Post
    Looks pretty good, and mostly makes scientific sense.

However, I don't know why anyone would build colonies on Venus and Mercury, since on Mercury hospitable temperatures could only exist very near the poles, and Venus destroys robotic probes within a couple hours (Not to mention that launching a rocket from Venus would be extremely difficult. The thick atmosphere would create massive drag forces.

Colonies orbiting Venus might be possible, but I don't understand why anyone would want to build them there, since there's plenty of perfectly good empty space at Earth distance or greater.
    The people who live on Mercury are fanatical Sun worshipers, who believe in shedding their mortal forms and transferring their consciousness to an artificial body. They then go to Mercury and live with in the bowls of the planet, awaiting their turn to walk on the surface and become one with God. Normal people stay far away Mercury.

As for Venus, the planet was colonized with massive floating cities utilizing the concept that balloons filled with breathable air would remain buoyant in the dense Venusian atmosphere. The cities hover around 50 km over the surface. The concept is described in much more detail here

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan K View Post
    Mercury rotates 3 times for every 2nd orbit around the sun, if I remember correctly. It could be feasible for deep subterranean facilities to exist, and since the energy gained from solar collectors would be incredible, it could be a good base for high-return industries that require enormous amounts of power. The facilities could be manned on a fly-in, fly-out basis when the heat build up in the facilities are too great.
    Very true. The initial impetus for trying to, at least, set up facilities on the planet were based on the idea of tapping the massive energy produced by the sun. Sadly, a single solar-system-wide government (facing budget cuts to support the construction of both Atlantis and the construction of a new Colony Cluster at the EL-3 point) did not see the value in continued funding. The facilities that had been created were (eventually) taken over by fanatical Sun worshipers. In the present day, none of the (now) independent countries within the solar system are keen on the idea of exterminating a cult filled with mechanical cultists who are willing to fight to the last man for the protection of their holy city. Better to let sleeping dogs lie and avoid a (fairly) needless war.

Quote Originally Posted by spiderfate View Post
    nice job
    well done
    Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanestGuest View Post
    I think I recall EE mentioning over at the CBG that the Venusian colonies float above the heavier parts of the atmosphere and avoid a lot of the nastiness, of course, I'm sure EE could tell you about them himself better than I could.
    That pretty much covers it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12