Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Technique

Default New Technique

Well I started to fiddle with other ideas for mountains, I want to know what you think!

1. I know the mountains are HUGE compared to the land, thats fine, I'll fix it later
    2. coloring is a bit funny, i need to play with the coloring more, I think its my saturation gone all funny...

But besides that how are they in general?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	3.20 MB 
ID:	33309  
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Not bad, I like the chiseled look they have.

hmm this technique is very very hard to manipulate thats for sure, I've been playing with it but this is about as far as I'll go for now with it... unless i can think of a few solutions on getting the result from image one on a smaller scale... not easy when you got one size for a Bevel and Emboss (which gave my first image the huge scale)...

Name:	Testa.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	3.19 MB 
ID:	33312  
    Projects

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

I really like the coastlines and feel of the water. Any chance you'll be sharing some of the technique?

Can't say it'll make much sense (my sense of explanation isn't very good =P) but its all Here
    Projects

One thing I noticed is that it made the ground area look very flat in comparison, I think some coastal cliffs and shoreline relief would be needed to balance it.

hmmm Well I tried again at the technique, I got over my frustration and I think I'm making some head way!

So just a couple of things,
    1.Mountains?? I'm trying to do a larger continent and trying to get scale to work, so the forest and hills hopefully fit too
    2. What portrayal of Cities is better?
    3. I know the oceans is a bit funky I just copied it from a previous image and increased the size...
    4. Are my placement of the mounts even good?

Anything else would be wonderful too!

Name:	Test Cont1.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	743.2 KB 
ID:	33385   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test Cont1a.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	33386  
    Projects

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Placement is ok, but you've got a mesa-instead-of-peaks thing going on with the mountains.

The forest looks really cool as far as texture, but it's a bit vivid and monochromatic - maybe desaturating and/or laying a color noise overlay would help that a bit.

As far as the city types go, both have their place and either works well with the map I think, so I have no opinion to offer.

Add more layers to the mountains as they get higher (covering smaller areas)...you just have to keep building them higher, I think.

So i scrapped the other runs, just because there really wasn't a way to manipulate the mountains very much... So heres another run at it with a fresh mind and a better outlook in life =P haha but i haven't gotten far, I just barely put this together and was able to repeat the process and I seem to like it a lot more then previous runs.

So hows the scale? Hows the actual definition of the mountains etc. I know its in a rough start so far but tell me whatcha think!

Name:	Test1.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	531.6 KB 
ID:	34094   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	928.4 KB 
ID:	34095  
    Projects

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast