Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OPDC WIP : The Tomb of the Traitor King

Default OPDC WIP : The Tomb of the Traitor King

I'm entering the one page dungeon comp as well here's where I'm at so far. Going for a Mike Schley'esk dungeon and going more for subtle. Gonna post the story behind the map after. Hope you enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Tomb of the Traitor King.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	34454  
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Hurray!

Good start, Geamon. Can't wait to see where it goes.

Here's where I finished tonight. Not entirely satisfied with the entry in relation to the towers, nor of the shadowing on the stairs on the 2F of the towers. I will work at this until I get a desirable finish.

Views:	78 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	34458  
    Cheers, Julien

All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Unfortunately, I didn't get much done today. Here's the edits I got in. Added sarcophagi and fixed the entrance. Still some more issues to address but I'm liking where this is going.

Here's the story for the map which I'm still brainstorming on how to represent in the labeling and legend.

Accompanying the rise of the republic of X, the lineage of the X dynasty was ended when rebel forces invaded and murdered the current monarch King X II in the royal palace within the capital of X. Known for his radical views in the faith and the sudden betrayal of the sovereignty of the crown, the people soon rose to rebel against the the Great Empire of X whom had been acclimated as the peoples new overlord. For the next five years the country was torn asunder by the conflict against their new stealth conquerers. The citizens finally prevailed and cast out the imperial forces from their lands and put the traitor king and his six concubines to death for his crimes against the people and the faith. Loyalist troops true to His Majesty King X II managed to recover the body of their lord and his concubines and deliver them to a secret tomb located within the X Mountains deep within the X Wastes. Here his servants research means to allow their liege to return to this plane of existence so he may claim the throne once again. Can you save the republic of X from the "Cult of the Traitor King" and their plots to reclaim power?

The X's aren't defined because I'm not sure which thematic style I wanna aim towards, desert based civilization with sandstone structure? etc?

Views:	87 
Size:	4.32 MB 
ID:	34489  
    Last edited by geamon; 03-19-2011 at 02:06 AM.
    Cheers, Julien

Note: I apologize in advance for the repeated posting and updates, just really excited with the project.

I've hit a fork in my style for this project I have to make a major decision going forward. Do I wanna follow the same path taken so far with a smooth looking finish or to make it a little grungier by bump mapping my base color cloud layer with the textures as well as the current use of layer modes. The first option is obviously keeping in the style of the inspiration I'm deriving from Mike Schley's numerous maps. However the second option is obviously something that appeals to my aesthetic very much so. I'm also unsure which path translates the best on paper as a printed product which in the spirit of the comp is what we are aiming for from my understanding. Any suggestions or tips appreciated seeing as I have no experience with creating a conducive to print product and wanna represent the CG well in the final product looking semi non amateur.

Edit: Sorry on thumbs not working.

Name:	The Tomb of the Traitor King 02.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	3.79 MB 
ID:	34493   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Tomb of the Traitor King 01.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	4.56 MB 
ID:	34494  
    Last edited by geamon; 03-19-2011 at 07:54 AM.
    Cheers, Julien

Decided to keep with the smooth style. I've been working on the end layout border, labeling, and such. Not completely satisfied with the border but its location and spacing are ideal in my mind, going to fiddle with that next. The dungeon is incomplete being as bare as it is but wanted to make sure elements are legible enough due to it being a requirement of the comp. Also included a single creature/encounter element symbol for demonstration and feedback. Anyone know a method to check visibility as if it were printed but on a reader or editor? Unfortunately I don't have any print capabilities available even in B&W. Also any suggestion on font choice and it's legibility?

Views:	103 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	34528  
    Last edited by geamon; 03-21-2011 at 05:25 AM.
    Cheers, Julien

Here's my latest update. Looking for proof reading in case I got errors. I'm very happy with the layout and border now. All I need left to do is furnish and grungify the dungeon proper now. Any criticism is welcome!

Views:	113 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	34581  
    Cheers, Julien

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sarcophagi is the only one I see (and I looked that up in a wiki here so I still might be wrong) Also if I'm not mistaken there isn't supposed to be any game information.
    The submission must have a name, an author, a map, a key, a link to the license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/) and no game stats.
    Regardless it's great. I love your style with these types of maps
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Yeah I know wasn't too sure if linking to an external source counted. Seeing as I'm keeping things generic enough with just a suggestion to use certain things not sure. I'll probably email the organizer and clarify.
    Cheers, Julien

Really cool base map, geamon. It does feel a little empty, though, like it might benefit from more dungeon dressing or props. I don't know if a lot of the previous winners had 'visual stories' going on in their map or not, but it it always something I like to see. Overall, everything is very crisp and light. I feel like this would make for a great encounter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast