Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: One Page Dungeon WIP: The Underground River

Default One Page Dungeon WIP: The Underground River

I thought the One Page Dungeon contest didn't seem to have enough isometric entries, so I thought I'd whip something up. Here is the beginning of my Underground River entry. Just getting started, but I am digging the vibe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OPD.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	241.6 KB 
ID:	34236  
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 03-09-2011 at 09:18 PM.

Update.

Now I just need to figure out what to put in it and what to mark as exciting landmarks. Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OPD.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	34241  
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 03-10-2011 at 01:34 AM.

Looking good so far.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice start RE... as for what to put in it, the first thing that popped into my head was a boat full of Oompa-Loompa's
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

One thing to consider is stalactites. I know it would seem weird to just have one hanging in mid-air but perhaps along the one wall where you have a couple of stalagmites on the ground just 180 them and have them hanging there near them?

Occupants? Spider webs and bones are a good start. How about the broken remains of a small skiff floating tied up to that one stalagmite in the river?

BOB

Since you don't have much to work with and have to put in text, unless you have something specific planned, I would suggest moving the title text to the top right and make it one line(or play with some type of overlap effect). This would give you plenty of room for the description of the contents. Personally, I would also suggest adding another room or three. nice stuff you are doing here, it's a good start... looking forward to seeing the finished piece.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Awesome advice! I will definitely be adding a boat floating there in the river, and maybe a wrecked one or two as well--I like the idea that this is sort of a secret transit-point to some underground dungeon--the moist entrance, if you will... . I think bones and webs are a great idea, or goblins (which are pretty much the same as oompah loompahs, yeah?). I'll have to pick a monster 'theme' and go with it. I might add a couple rooms, as there seems to be plenty of space for it. Of course, the more rooms I add, the less space I have to write and the more I must write within said space. Hmm.

What do we think of, say, a goblin-run toll booth to pass through to the river? Only, the goblins' toll is all of your money and items, or your life. Then the extra room could be their treasure-room where they toss the gold and items on one side and the bones and rotting corpses on the other (the 'food pile')?

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

For a generic competition I would leave it as "toll taker" rather than goblin to give the end user full control over what they place there by level/genre/etc

Grins, if it was my campaign, it would be a doppelganger and something else that could take everything but "you look like nice people, we will only take half from you" and then make the players paranoid for why they got away with something.

BOB

Bats, cave sharks, and caveman paintings.

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    cave sharks.
    Best idea yet.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast