Thread: Cutting away unused space in DD3

Guild Novice

Help Cutting away unused space in DD3

After playing a bit with Dungeon Designer 3 I began work on a dungeon for my D&D campaign. After making a somewhat complex cave I realized I had way too much space left. As the cave fits in on a larger map and took quite a while to make, I'd really rather not have to make it all over again.

So I'm hoping you guys know a way I can cut off the space I don't need, as I can't get an image of the cave in good quality since the whole image is so big.

You can always just add a new sheet (name it Edge Mask, or somesuch). On this sheet, draw white rectangles over the area you want to cover up and then drag a zoom window around the part you want to see. This way, you can develop the cave complex further later on as well - just remove/redraw the white rectangles on your Edge Mask sheet.

Like Wonko Said.

If you have a map that is 500 x 800, but you only used 300 x 400 you have a "Lot of Unused territory there".

Now there is multiple ways to fix this, some hard, some not so hard. And without seeing the map I cannot tell you the 'best' method to resize. SO, you could create a new sheet like Wonko Said and call it MASK. Put i on the very bottom of the sheet list (this will make it the TOP sheet when printed). Then draw a SOLID BRIGHT PURPLE RECTANGLE covering the portion of the map you WANT SHOWING. This will make sense in a minute. I use Bright Purple as it is a color that is not often used in maps and makes for a quickly selectable entity. Second, on the same sheet in the same color draw a SECOND SOLID BRIGHT PURPLE RECTANGLE the covers and is LARGER than the entire map (i.e. if whole map is 500 x 800 make this purple 520 x 820). Now hide all sheet except your MASK sheet, and use the MULTIPOLY tool to select the two purple rectangles. and click done. Your will now have a large bright purple rectangle with a hole in it that will be your smaller map. Use the edit properties tool on the purple rectangle to make it white and then show all sheets. You now have your smaller map showing.

If you post up an image of your map or even the FCW file I could take a look at it and see how easy it is to 'trim down to proper size'.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Like Wonko Said.

If you have a map that is 500 x 800, but you only used 300 x 400 you have a "Lot of Unused territory there".

Now there is multiple ways to fix this, some hard, some not so hard. And without seeing the map I cannot tell you the 'best' method to resize. SO, you could create a new sheet like Wonko Said and call it MASK. Put i on the very bottom of the sheet list (this will make it the TOP sheet when printed). Then draw a SOLID BRIGHT PURPLE RECTANGLE covering the portion of the map you WANT SHOWING. This will make sense in a minute. I use Bright Purple as it is a color that is not often used in maps and makes for a quickly selectable entity. Second, on the same sheet in the same color draw a SECOND SOLID BRIGHT PURPLE RECTANGLE the covers and is LARGER than the entire map (i.e. if whole map is 500 x 800 make this purple 520 x 820). Now hide all sheet except your MASK sheet, and use the MULTIPOLY tool to select the two purple rectangles. and click done. Your will now have a large bright purple rectangle with a hole in it that will be your smaller map. Use the edit properties tool on the purple rectangle to make it white and then show all sheets. You now have your smaller map showing.

If you post up an image of your map or even the FCW file I could take a look at it and see how easy it is to 'trim down to proper size'.

MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Novice

Finally got time for mapping again! Tried covering it up like you suggested, but it didn't help much with myu problem of rendering the image in good quality. It's gonna be used for a poster in the end. Right now CC3 "freezes" when I try to render it big enough - I've got an embarrassing amount of unused space. Learned my lesson though and count squares before I begin drawing.

I've included the FCW file for you to take a look at NeonKnight - thanks for doing that!

L3.zip

righto, i'll take look As soon as I can.

**EDIT**

And, Fixed
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 03-22-2011 at 03:15 PM.

Guild Novice

Uh! Thank you soooo much!!! You are my hero!