Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old City Ward (Riverhewn)

Hey, I just saw this and I think it's great. Good job man!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip

Thank you Gidde and Jax. Its nice to be doing something again.( ah my poor challenge entries..)

As you can see I have started to label the streets and alleys. I have tried and tried to get my text to follow a path both in Inkscape and GIMP. I follow the directions about making my path and then my text but I can't for the life of me either select both (In Inkscape) or know what the next step after I get the transparent text along the path. (In GIMP) Help Please..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dock Ward.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	34422
    Last edited by jtougas; 03-16-2011 at 06:19 PM.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Wip

Whew. I figured out the "text to path" procedure *smacks forehead* it was so simple. (I'm really not as thick as I may have sounded in previous posts I was just skipping a step) So with that milestone reached, here is the next installment. I plan on adding more alleys and coloring next.

Views:	62 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	34436
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Looking great, JT! If you're feeling particularly masochistic, try drawing roof lines for the buildings, it will really give them character.
    Ok Rav I accept the challenge. I'm not sure if I'm going the right way with the roof lines though. Maybe they need to be smaller (thinner) ?

Views:	60 
Size:	605.8 KB 
ID:	34443

Finished Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The line weight (thickness) is fine. The thing that I see is the roof style...keep it simple a la the gable style as it's much easier to actually build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenie.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	34451  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

What Ascension said. If you want to be super masochistic then you can start to put shadows on the roofs too. Maybe best to do the roof lines first and the shadows later.

Blog Entries

I see. that would make it much easier than the engineering nightmare I have now As far as shadows go I still have to color code the buildings to fit with the theme of these maps.

Finished Maps

Definitely going to echo Ascension with the gabled roof usage. Anything beyond that isn't necessary. You can throw together a couple hip roofs interspersed to break it up as well. This reminds me that I gotta get cracking on my roof tut since it will explain all those elements. Good luck JT.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Blog Entries

Wip

Well thanks to Rav's challenge and Ascension's help and geamon's encouragement I spent the last 3 hours drawing little lines onto all the buildings in the ward. I like the result. The only thing to remember here is that these buildings are going to be color-coded like this and have a number on top of them so I don't think I'll go too crazy on details.

Views:	53 
Size:	660.4 KB 
ID:	34474

Finished Maps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast