Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old City Ward (Riverhewn)

It's looking so much better! My only suggestion is to dial back the colour / transparency of the hexes....they only need to be noticeable if you're looking for them.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    It's looking so much better! My only suggestion is to dial back the colour / transparency of the hexes....they only need to be noticeable if you're looking for them.
    Thanks Rav (and thanks for the tip about the hexes) I've started to color code the buildings and I realized that I never really explained why. I seem to remember that about 25 or so years ago I had a very cool TSR map of a city (I wish I could remember what city) that the buildings were color-coded like this. I think the idea was that you could glance at a building and know what function it served (temple,guildhall, etc). I just think it's a neat "old school" thing so that's why I do it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dock Ward.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	631.4 KB 
ID:	34484
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like the idea of color-coding; if and when I ever get motivated to do a city map (and not quit 3 hours in), I might have to use that myself.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I like the idea of color-coding; if and when I ever get motivated to do a city map (and not quit 3 hours in), I might have to use that myself.
    Thanks. I have discovered that I actually enjoy this particular style of city mapping, mostly because I'm not trying to create a HUGE city all at once.
    I think this one is mostly done. I've left quite a few of the buildings in this ward "blank" as I'm thinking of running the Kingdom of Shendenflar as a actual campaign and I'll need some blank locations for encounters in the future. And as we all know, the "docks" are a great place to hang out (especially at night)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dock Ward.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	34567
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The only thing that I really have to say is that the buildings are all placed hodge-podge with no real streets. Now, this may be fine for a pirate city, orc town, or a small village but with that many structures the human mind almost always starts to impose some sort of order on things and hence streets are created. You may not want to go back and move things around to create those streets after putting this much work into it, and I totally understand that (I wouldn't want to either), but if you did I think it would look more authentically "citified" and less random. From an aesthetic point of view, looks pretty good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123