Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old City Ward (Riverhewn)

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip Old City Ward (Riverhewn)

I am starting to put together my campaign setting (again) and I need maps so it's time to shake off the lethargy and get back at it. I've decided to do ward maps of Riverhewn (the capital and largest city in my setting) Like my Stormhaven Ward Maps I'm going for an "old school" look that will be more "informational" and less artistic (If I tried do anything the least bit artistic right now my head would explode) This is City (or old) Ward it was the first area of Riverhewn (hence the wall) it houses many of the Kingdom's first families and is the "old money" section of Riverhewn.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cityoldward.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	34254
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Looking good so far. I'm not 100% "feeling" the flow of the streets from the placement and position of the buildings. Are you planning on showing streets explicitly or is this done?
    M

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Looking good so far. I'm not 100% "feeling" the flow of the streets from the placement and position of the buildings. Are you planning on showing streets explicitly or is this done?
    M
    I hadn't really thought about that. Most of Riverhewn is pretty chaotic as far as streets go due to the fact that there is only so much room and building is pretty much a constant thing. The Old City should probably be a bit more "ordered" however. Thanks for bringing that up
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Wip

After thinking about what Mearrin said I moved some of the buildings and re-scaled others so that I would actually have streets. I also made the entire map bigger to make it easier to work on (and read) As you can see I started to label the streets and am working on the buildings now.

Views:	92 
Size:	250.8 KB 
ID:	34293
    Last edited by jtougas; 03-11-2011 at 04:07 PM.

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

Wip

I'm going to keep working on this as long as my motivation sticks around. I color coded the buildings the colors are the same as the Stormhaven Ward maps that I did earlier (I'm going for one unified theme with this style of map) I also added some "gardens" and walls around the private housing (wealthy folk after all) I'll be working on the key next.

Views:	85 
Size:	306.0 KB 
ID:	34298

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

Wip

Whew. I didn't think I'd have it in me to finish this. So here it is. The City or "Old" ward of the City of Riverhewn (and if you live in Riverhewn you probably just call this ward "The Old City") I screwed up and flattened the image before I put the grid on and because I knew that I would never finish this if I went back and started all over again I just set the grid layer to "overlay" and messed with the opacity a bit and tried to make it look as good as I could. Maybe someday I'll go back and fix it. You may notice that the guild names sound mighty familiar, Yep I stole them from Waterdeep years ago.What can I say

Views:	99 
Size:	564.2 KB 
ID:	34303
    Last edited by jtougas; 03-12-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

Wip

I decided to fix this as I couldn't quite believe how lazy I've become. Plus I somehow lost my pride in my work and thats something I just will NOT let go. These may not be the most artistically beautiful maps but they do have a neat "feel" IMO and to just post up crap for the sake of posting is nonsense. So after the rant here is the "Final" version of "Old City Ward" I'll be updating the post in the Finished Map forum as well.

Name:	City Ward Final.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	591.9 KB 
ID:	34341

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

Wip Dock Ward

I think I'll put all these in the same thread so I don't clutter up the forum with seven or eight WIPS on basically the same subject. This is the start of the Dock Ward section of Riverhewn. It is crowded with mazes for streets and the overall stuffed full feeling most fantasy dock areas have. This will be done in the same style as the others. I have started getting the buildings in place doing my "erase or rescale" method to get them somewhat in order. I hope my motivation sticks around for a while as I have 6 more of these to do..

Name:	Dock Ward.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	424.6 KB 
ID:	34348

Finished Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I'm loving this, jt, gogogo I've been trying and trying to start a city map in all my paper experiments I've been doing lately, I'm jealous of you folks that actually get to something workable!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast