Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lair of the Alchemist

Default Lair of the Alchemist

I drew this in my sketchpad, scanned it in and then went to town in Gimp.

I wanted to twist the perspective and attempt to have the viewer entry through a doorway and sort of fall up the stairs and then mentally walk into the rest. I'm not sure if I pulled it off completely. This was my first ISO type map. Since this was drawn freehand and I did not use any references to keep things lined up just right, it isn't perfect, but I think it has a little more organic feeling or something.

I thought it was a fun touch to have the river flowing from an Alchemical flask.

Next time around I think I'll try it with some reference points and see how it turns out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AlchemistLiar.jpg 
Views:	507 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	34283  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I love this map. It has such a cool feeling about it. Great work
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

This is a great idea, and i think the execution could use a bit more finesse. If it was a little tighter and if a grid was added, this would be a fantastic battle map...well it think it would, haha. Well done, i'd like to see more like this from you

Thank you guys.

@TheRedEpic - wouldn't I then need to come up with tokens drawn in the same view in order for it to work as a battlemap? That would be challenging as dealing with facing would mean extra work, no? You made me double check and I found that there is another map I never put in the finished maps. I will post shortly. Thanks especially for the encouragement to work at this style some more.

It seems as well that different folks see different areas of the site. Little wonder with the size and number of postings we have but I guess I need to make sure I post my stuff in the Finished Maps just to make sure. After all, this thread would be the best place for someone with limited time to check out your work.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

Very nice map. I think it works just fine as a battlemap for Klooge because there is no grid. For a different perspective for a session or three this would be very nice.

I will steal this one and load it to see how the measurements work throughout the perspective.

BOB

And after quick testing it seems to work nicely. All the doors are the same height. The hallways are not quite all uniform but that is all part of carving out a secret unground lair

Of course it would need to be a much higher quality image for it to work at that scale.

BOB
    Last edited by anstett; 03-13-2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: add additional note rather than new post

Guild Journeyer

I actually took the map, rotated it a bit and then put a grid on it. For something a bit different I think it could work quite well - especially if I wasn't really using it strictly speaking for direct combat.

Huh, I'd never heard of Klooge - I googled it and went to the site whereupon my avg virus protection blocked some hack or something so I'm a little weary of it but the screen shots look good.

As for the doors I'm surprised if they are all the same size because I attempted to make them slightly smaller as they went farther from the front door. Only slightly mind you and only by eye so it's not something I actually measured. Whatever the case I think it's cool if you are able to use it.

You got that block again? Will double check with the ISP. I am a moderator over on the boards there and we had an "attack" by someone who posted false reports about the sites security.

Klooge is a java based VTT that is system agnostic.

You can use any image as a map and then set scale etc.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

Very nice indeed Jax! Deserves a rep whack I think! I particularly like the glow around the desk area but I'd hate to see what kind of animal gives a fur rug that shape! Battle map? Could be. Work of art, definitely! It's very eye catching even as thumbnail.

Edit : Rep later! I need to spread myself around more!
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast