Thread: Tsunami...

Default Tsunami...

If any of you guys are in the affected areas I hope everything turns out okay. Be well. I don't exactly pray but I will think good thoughts for you all.

I'm on the Oregon-Washington border but far enough inland that it'd take a pretty big wave to get all the way to my doorstep. I just saw a news report that they're starting to get hit out on the coast but it doesn't sound too bad so far.
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

just heard that the record wave was from 1971, it measured 85 meters in height - thats damn high...
    and I second mearrins sentiment - if anyone in here is in the affected areas I hope you're all allright. Watching it on tv is fascinating but also scary to see mother nature throw our man made objects around like small toys.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

A friend of mine went out to the beach to watch it come in, but it was only two feet high in Santa Monica. So we're okay here!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Glad to hear it!!

Ha! I just realized that my profile still has me in Denver. Yeah, the tsunami didn't get all the way to the other side of the Rocky Mountains… I'll go update that now.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I live in an area that never has any natural disasters, so watching these events unfold is fascinating to me.

Buildings being washed away in Japan:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12717863
    "I AM THE LAW!"
    - Flaming Fist Mercenary

My Art / Photos / Maps

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LS-Jebus View Post
    I live in an area that never has any natural disasters, so watching these events unfold is fascinating to me.

Buildings being washed away in Japan:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12717863
    Maybe "fascinating" isn't quite the right word. I live in the North Atlantic region myself and used to always complain about how "boring" it was seismically and weather-wise. having seen most of what mother nature can dish out I'm now very glad that I live where I do. My thoughts are with the victims of this disaster.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I think 'fascinate' is the right word for me; such events evoke an intense interest. But don't think that is the only thing in my mind - I still understand the destruction and terror a disaster can bring, and I think that is part of why it is so interesting to me. I do appreciate the relative safety on my town. I'm not one to seek out thrills and risks.
    "I AM THE LAW!"
    - Flaming Fist Mercenary

My Art / Photos / Maps

I heard on the news as I was walking through the room that a 25 year old guy got washed away into the sea up along the Oregon coast but I haven't tried to verify that.

It is awful to see people's lives being wrecked like that. Some of them were driving their cars attempting to flee the area in the 15 minute warning they had (not nearly enough to allow most to move) and they were washed away in that big wave. It's horrible to see. I can only imagine.

Where is the link to our map showing where our members are? Ha, I thought RE was out that way somewhere but then I just checked his avatar and he's in California now....he must have rode a wave over.

edit: In retrospect I think he was in Korea.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 03-13-2011 at 02:50 PM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt