Thread: Cavern Behind the Waterfall

Default Cavern Behind the Waterfall

Another challenge (Dec/Jan) entry that I forgot to post in the final maps area. Funny because I was clicking on my finished maps and thinking, "Boy it sure seems like I have done more than this." I will try to keep up better from now on.

This would serve as a seemingly nice place to camp out for the night. Perfect for those midnight encounters.
    I wanted to see if I could get across the idea of two levels on the same map. To that end I broke the grid to create a separation from the valley floor and the area above the cavern. Obviously, I had to allow the viewer to see within the cave or what would be the point? I think it turned out pretty well.

Done in Gimp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CampcaveH.jpg 
Views:	764 
Size:	789.2 KB 
ID:	34313  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Another great work.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Somewhere between the North Pole and the South Pole

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Another challenge (Dec/Jan) entry that I forgot to post in the final maps area. Funny because I was clicking on my finished maps and thinking, "Boy it sure seems like I have done more than this." I will try to keep up better from now on.

This would serve as a seemingly nice place to camp out for the night. Perfect for those midnight encounters.
    I wanted to see if I could get across the idea of two levels on the same map. To that end I broke the grid to create a separation from the valley floor and the area above the cavern. Obviously, I had to allow the viewer to see within the cave or what would be the point? I think it turned out pretty well.

Done in Gimp
    Hey, Jaxilon. Great work.

Quick question though. For the cavern section, it appeared that you gave the rugged edge a unique "glare" (if that is the best word) to give it the illusion that you are looking into the ground.
    How did you do that?

Hmm, if you are referring to the slight blur I'm pretty sure that I did it with the smudge tool. It's been a while since I did this and I was still very much learning my way around the GIMP. I probably have the source files and can verify this but I'm not sure if that's what you mean by "unique glare". The most obvious place to see what I'm talking about is right at the entrance to the cave where the green is very faint over the top.

Now if you mean all the way around the cavern having that raggedy edge sort of look I'm pretty sure that is just 2 or 3 layers of coloring set on overlay with manual smudging to allow parts of each layer to show.

If I were doing this now I would almost certainly use layer masks and just blur the edges of the mask to allow that faint see through look.

A lot of what I do is just manually pushing the paint around since I don't usually get what I want from just running a filter. I do use filters but then I usually go back and touch up the areas I want to be more specific.

If I'm not answering your question please indicate the area you are looking at and I will take a look at the source and happily let you know.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

+1. Smudge tool rocks!!!!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.