Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Painted figures...

Default Painted figures...

Unfortunately I'm better at making maps than painting miniature figures...but here are two that I painted to surprise a couple of players when we get back to Rise of the Runelords tomorrow. These are Reaper minis made to resemble two of Paizo's "iconic" characters. Meresiel is the one in red and blue - she's an elf rogue that really likes knives. The player picked her when we started the adventure and he has been playing her about like the flavor text suggests. She has a LOT of daggers. Kyra is the one with the holy symbol upraised. She's a cleric of Sarenrae, an "Arabic" godess of fire and some other stuff. That player too has been playing her to the hilt. She even adopted a goblin baby and has created quite a little disciple to Sarenrae: fire and vengeance, what's for a little goblin not to like. He charges out of the temple waving his wooden scimitar every time Kyra comes back to town shouting about infidels...

For those of you not familiar with Paizo's products, Rise of the Runelords is that company's first independently published "Adventure Path". It consists of six fairly meaty chapters and we're just starting on the fourth after a long break. I won't drop any spoilers about it here but I suspect you can find the full plotline somewhere on the Web.

Anybody else do any painting? I did a fair bit of it many years ago and I'm surprised how much my motor skills (and eyesight!) have deteriorated in the interim... Post some pics if you've got 'em!
    M

NB: I don't know which is worse, my painting or my photography...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k&m.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	34349  

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You are FAR too modest. Those look awesome. Trust me the ones I used to paint looked like I dripped the paint on from a ladder..in the rain..
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Maybe a Warhammer fanatic or some equivalent would protest, but what I see are two well-painted miniatures. I paint miniatures sometimes. I don't play any retail games that employ them, but I have created some board games and dioramas that used them. I have painted a couple dozen mini ships for a Risk/Diplomacy-based game, a dozen Warhammer figures, army men, and some ancient Greek units.

Eventually I am going to take another swing at refining my board game, using a much better designed fantasy map, and really spend a lot of time on detail painting on both the map and figures. Sometimes the best thing for an artist to do is stop working, forget he was working on a project, and then rediscover it. Like I just did. I completely forgot about my game... I have two ancient prototypes in my room in two styles... Now I have a lot of ideas and I want to work on it.
    Last edited by LS-Jebus; 03-12-2011 at 11:21 PM. Reason: wow memory attack
    "I AM THE LAW!"
    - Flaming Fist Mercenary

My Art / Photos / Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks good mearrin, better than I've ever painted my miniatures. Don't use miniatures anymore though, I'm just printing 1" squares (and sometimes 2") to use on my battlemaps - a lot cheaper and less heavy when you go play ... but when I reach Forbes bilionaire list I might buy miniatures again
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

WOW! Looks better than what I put out.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Looks good mearrin, better than I've ever painted my miniatures. Don't use miniatures anymore though, I'm just printing 1" squares (and sometimes 2") to use on my battlemaps - a lot cheaper and less heavy when you go play ... but when I reach Forbes bilionaire list I might buy miniatures again
    That's why I went with the D&D Miniature line. All Plastic, less weight, less hassle. Need a bunch, toss em in a plastic bag and call it a day.

As to PC mini's I like to have a painted mini to represent my PC.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thanks guys...appreciate the nice words. I have a couple of friends that are truly awesome painters so I'm pretty critical of my own stuff. I used to be pretty good, though not prolific, and would like to get back into it. I have several pounds of assembled but unpainted metal...

BTW, I have a TON (like four Office Depot 18"x12"x8" clear plastic storage boxes) of the D&D pre-painted plastic minis. Also have a bunch (four smaller boxes) of their Star Wars figures and a couple of sets of the HeroScape minis and boosters. I likes me some truthful tabletop representation of battles.
    M

Blog Entries

I painted mini's ("figures" as we called them) for many years. I had well over a thousand when I finally decided to stop collecting them and sold them at my friend's store. I won some local competitions, but this was back before there was a lot of talent painting D&D miniatures. I used a "dry" technique that consisted of starting with a dark bottom layer and working my way up to the highlights with drier and drier brushes. I also did a lot of customization, and had quite the selection of loose weapons and polystyrene stock for fabricating weapons and other props. I did not use inks and found that they added a shine to my miniatures that I did not like.

Your work is quite well done. I think that anyone who understands shading, has a steady hand and descent eyesight can paint miniatures. I think someone like you can be brilliant at it.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Here's my next project. We're starting up a Firefly game using the old Deadlands rules soon - two players running two characters each. Been mulling character concepts and had a couple in mind and found minis to rep them before I finished them up. These are from the Chronoscope line - their bases have a nice little recess on top and I used some things from my bits bucket to mock up some deck plating and "tech" before priming them. Hope to get them painted this weekend.
    M

Name:	firefly-figs-primed_sm.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	255.2 KB 
ID:	34563  

Got these ready for our Monday night game. Now, to get the characters they represent finished up!

Heh. They really *do* look better in person than in this photograph. Those 'Eavy Metal guys must be pretty swell painters to have their results look so good in close-in photos. Mine look fairly rough but they look great at 8" from the eye without a flash. Don't know if I should be shooting to be a better painter or a better photographer!

Okay. Now to mapping. I think I'm going to take a break from the hard-core stuff and do this month's Lite Challenge...sounds like fun even though I can't make an official entry.
    M

Edit: I seem to have the painting bug lately (which is good because I have pounds of unpainted metal and plastic). Would love to see some of the stuff other members are working on. Feel free to post it up...

Name:	firefly figs painted small.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	34628  

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast