Thread: A newb to PC mapping

Post A newb to PC mapping

Hi all,
    Whats relevant about me? To PC mapping, I have been playing, on and off, DnD since the red-box basic edition and DMing since ADnD 1E. Since I started I have been creating worlds and drawing maps, whether used or not, whether I was currently gaming or not. I have used, up until now, maps hand-drawn using a black and white inky old fashioned looking (for the players) and copied and coloured for the DM with additional info.
    So I have recently started being a part time professional geek so I am (back) into PCs (modding, gaming, overclocking) big style.
    I have decided to move my mapping to the digital age with a new campaign setting for 4E. So I brought myself some ProFantasy software, installed it and just about fell over dead with fright. Man it looks like it is going to take until 4E is out before I figure the software out . So I am going to hang around here and see what I can learn.
    Cheers all
    M1.9P

Take it in small bites. CC3 looks very intimidating at first, and it's a very deep program, but it's possible to make some good-looking maps rather quickly. First of all, don't skip the tutorials--they really are worthwhile.

Second, start up a WIP thread and just start asking questions. I did the same when I first started, and I learned tons that way. Here's my first thread:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=847

Welcome to the Guild!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Welcome, CC3 is a very good program, and all I can say is what I tell everyone who is overwhelmed when they first look at it:

FOLLOW THE TUTORIALS!

You will learn a lot, a LOT, and soon you will be making some kick A$$ maps!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Welcome! So glad you are here--and I hope you give as much advice and opinion to help others as you hope to receive! Once again, welcome!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Hey, thanks for the replies. I am sloooowly working my way through the turorials and hopefully will start posting my first e-campaign in a month or so....