Thread: Making Not So Random Coastlines in GIMP

Tutorial Making Not So Random Coastlines in GIMP

After making a couple of random coastlines over here I wanted to make some less random coastlines. More specifically, I wanted to create random coasts in GIMP (or photoshop) based on a rough sketch of a coast.

I recalled a few tutorials on making lightning using noise and difference layers and figured I'd apply the technique here.

So what follows is a graphical tutorial on making "not-so-random" coastlines...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m1.jpg 
Views:	3253 
Size:	436.3 KB 
ID:	24165  
    Last edited by RobA; 04-27-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Changing the blur amount or the rendered cloud detail changes the effect.

It can also be used on any original shape!

Hope this was useful,

-Rob A>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m2.jpg 
Views:	1224 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	24166  
    Last edited by RobA; 04-27-2010 at 01:17 PM.

COOL!! That is a really neat trick. I had done the "difference cloud" lightning thing before, but never considered using it this way. Well done! You deserve some rep, and thankfully I was able to give you some.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Reppin' this! Thanks for this one. It's a simple but super-helpful lesson!

Hello RobA! Thank you SO much for all your GREAT tutorials I'm a bit "green" to all of this....but I'm really enjoying this site!

So, concerning the "Not so random coastlines" technique presented here. When I went with the 50px blur and full noise (using shape very similar to yours) I noticed that the fractalization could get a bit unrealistically random. So, I played with the values. When I reduced the blur to about 25px it was a bit more convincing on my image. However, I quickly realized that there were gaps/holes in the coastline. This of course slows down the filling process a bit. Is there something I can do to easily fix this? I'm guessing that the white from the cloud-noise must align with the edge at times?

Really interesting technique! Just getting started out and this alone has made one of my first tries look much more realistic. Thanks for the information!