Thread: Grotesque mask heads

Default Grotesque mask heads

Found this on boing boing....might be useful as ornament (don't what the copyright restrictions are).

http://bibliodyssey.blogspot.com/201...ask-heads.html

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Those are awesome. I can see those being used in a inset or a border. They were published in 1555 so I don't know what that means for copyright. Thanks for finding those Ravs
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

The originals are certainly public domain but these are posted on flikr with CC-BY so thats cery liberal anyways. Most of these masks appear to be similar to a wierd thing in UK churches. Someone knowledgeable about history might tell me about non UK churches but there was a fad of putting "Green Men" around the tops of churches. I dont know if it was to ward off spirits or attract them... maybe ill head to wikipedia... Theres certainly loads and loads of references to them if you need more.

Edit -- yes here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_men and quite a few in the gallery there too.

Totally following this person XD

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Cool stuff. I was just thinking about looking for those carved things on the front of ships but green men can work just as well...ooo maybe some gargoyles from churches.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice find Ravs!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.