Thread: The Kingdom of Rudd (WIP)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Wip The Kingdom of Rudd (WIP)

As I mentioned in my intro, I've been using the vast resources here to help me map the world I'm currently building.

This is where I'm at so far with one of the countries. Your comments and criticisms will be most welcome. The biggest problem I'm having is getting the rivers to look right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RUDD(wip).jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	679.5 KB 
ID:	34413  

Looks great actually, well done... The only thing I can even think to really mention at the moment, would be your land color seems a bit yellow, more then green... Could be your intention but thought I'd point it out anyways
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Guild Novice

Thanks Yandor. You're quite right - it does look a bit on the garish side. It's funny how you don't notice basic things like that until someone points it out.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks good. I'm a little confused about the lines around your landmasses. If you are trying to denote shallow water or not. All in all a nice map
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Hey Actomart, welcome to the guild.

I actually like your yellowish land colour. Maybe it seems too yellow because the blue of the sea is very.. blue. Maybe adding a little yellow to the ocean colour will tone down the transition. Dunno.

Speaking of the ocean, I'm not wildly enthused with your ocean texture. Seems a little too heavy for my liking. I really like your mountains though. They have a much more painterly vibe than is usual with this style of map and I can totally dig it.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Guild Novice

Wip

Thank you all for your input.

I've taken what you've said on board and this is the latest version. The colours are more natural now I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RUDD(wip)-2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	519.2 KB 
ID:	34419  

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That looks great. I'm not a member of the river police but something doesn't look quite right, but I'm FAR from an expert on that. I really like the way this is coming along
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yep, I like the colors in the second version much better; the ocean looks fantastic now. As for the rivers, I think it kinda depends on what scale the map is. If that's a fairly small island, then it would make sense that all the rivers are straight-ish, with not a lot of bends and twists. However, if the island is more like continent-size, then you might want to consider doing away with a few of the rivers and making the rest more bendy and twisty, to simulate flowing around natural obstacles.

Awesome work, though; I likes it, I does.

edit: I just noticed you do have a scale in there. At those smallish distances, I think the rivers make sense.

Agreed with Diamond, the second one much better... I was kind of thinking on the rivers, if you were to grab a fuzzy brush and erase the very beginnings of the rivers slightly, make it fade into the river a bit, instead of abruptly starting... However that is just an idea, and it looks great regardless, well done!
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Guild Novice

Thanks Yandor, that works great - a soft brush with the flow set to about 25%