Thread: The Central Marches

Default The Central Marches

This is a WIP of the second regional map of my yet still unnamed homebrew world. The first was my Romeda map. The large central area will be largely grasslands and forests, while the western area below the mountains is Caprion, a desert region full of mystery and intrigue. The southern and eastern tips won't be so well defined in this map, as it is my intent to detail them on their own.

I beg of your comments and critique. I need all the help I can get!

-IG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Central Marches.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	34308  
    Last edited by industrygothica; 03-11-2011 at 08:44 PM.

I don't think I've seen mountains done in this style before. They look pretty good overall, but the part where they seem to ram right into that big lake and stop abruptly on it's shore looks totally unrealistic. Your rivers seem to have some points where they get super narrow or even completely discontinuous. The water looks fairly good, but gives the impression that it's deeper by the coasts and gets shallower out on the seas. The general convention is to use darker blue for deep water and lighter tones for shallow, but this is inverted in your map.

Yes, the mountains and rivers--especially the rivers--need more work. I will likely take the mountain range that you've questioned and extend it along the western side of the lake, all the way to the coast. The rivers are more of a placeholder for now, for positioning.

I wasn't really going for realistic water, but I do understand your point. I'll play with that a bit and see which I like better.

Thanks a lot for your critique!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    I don't think I've seen mountains done in this style before. They look pretty good overall, but the part where they seem to ram right into that big lake and stop abruptly on it's shore looks totally unrealistic. Your rivers seem to have some points where they get super narrow or even completely discontinuous. The water looks fairly good, but gives the impression that it's deeper by the coasts and gets shallower out on the seas. The general convention is to use darker blue for deep water and lighter tones for shallow, but this is inverted in your map.
    The style is very similar to one that was running around in the guild in 2007-2008 a good example of it was this, this is just the thread though

But more directly the map itself. All this was done by Soixante, also see Aeronox's stuff... Not saying that its the same technique just the same look/style I guess...
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Great eye! It was actually Sioxante's tool and style pack that I used here.

-IG

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Those mountains are gorgeous. How did you do those, if I may ask? Is that the tool/style pack you mention, and if so where is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Those mountains are gorgeous. How did you do those, if I may ask? Is that the tool/style pack you mention, and if so where is it?
    Yep, that's the pack. You can find it here.

Looking nice!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Thanks for the link! Alas, it'll only work in PS as is ... I'll have to look at trying a GIMP version once real life calms down a bit.