Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stillmeadows

Guild Member

Wip Stillmeadows

I've started on the city of Stillmeadows.

I'm hoping to complete this by month's end. I don't have my compass up yet, but the right side of the map is due north. The city is the namesake of the trail to Bluerock and into the Theocracy further west.

I'll update as I complete areas. I'm looking to improve upon the terracing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stillmeadows.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	463.5 KB 
ID:	33360

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Looks like a cool layout! You seem to have a tiling effect in your grass texture that's a bit distracting, though.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Looks like a cool layout! You seem to have a tiling effect in your grass texture that's a bit distracting, though.
    OK, I think I corrected the grass texture tiling problem. At least it doesn't look like it has seams in this iteration:

Views:	84 
Size:	371.9 KB 
ID:	33364

Yes, that's much better now. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Another good start.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Member

Got some work done today. Added the cliff faces from the trail to Phaelin's Wall and along the eastern terrace between the towers [bottom of map]. Added the cliff face at the top of the map. I also changed the triangular keep and added the buildings around it. Finally, added the West Bench [fancy housing], but not it's paths. Above that, the Light and Heavy Infantry base. Oh and trees, trees, trees!

Views:	96 
Size:	487.0 KB 
ID:	33451

Blog Entries

Looking good. I really like the feel of these. They feel like I could actually find the things on the map Mind your shadows on that bottom row of buildings though they sort of look like they are floating
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

This is coming along nicely!

Guild Member

Wip

OK guys. Last night and today, I went through Mark Oliva and the Vintyri Projects FM8 tutorial. At least as far as figuring out layers in FM8 as well as shadows on buildings.

After adding another section last night, I wasn't happy with the built-in shadow tool in FM8. Some of the buildings can't take the FM8 shadow tool, while others lose some crispness. I went over the Vintyri shadow maker. It is a bit cumbersome at first, but by the time I was done, it was a quick piece of cake. So, I have redone all of the structure shadowing with the exception of the outer towers and walls which I built specific to this map and which use the shadow tool quite well. Don't think them buildings are floating anymore.

Anyway, here is how far I got today:

Name:	Stillmeadows2.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	502.8 KB 
ID:	33480

Blog Entries

Looks great.

Finished Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast