Thread: Testing a new style

Wip Testing a new style

I have wanted to get better looking terrain for my city maps. I found this nice little program called EarthSculptor at http://www.earthsculptor.com/index.htm. I think that it does a pretty good job of making a terrain layout, even if it is a rather basic program. It is very easy to work with which is a big plus. It has a free version, which does pretty decent. I think that I will end up buying it though so that I can edit larger terrains.

Anyway, I wanted to see what people thought of the output. I am using it as a background for a CD3 map.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test City Map.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	784.9 KB 
ID:	34414

Also, you have a couple of options for working with it. You can create a greyscale height map which you can then use with other programs. You also can choose the textures that you want to use for each area of the map.

So if you have Wilbur (Which is free) or Fractal Terrains, you can import the height field and create a contour output for CC3.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think it looks pretty good, though it has a very "soft" (for lack of a better term) look to it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The full version works at a higher resolution, so that might make it a little crisper.

Here is another test... This time I have overlaid the contour lines with the map.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test City Map.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	34418

not sure if steel ment this but It could use some more contrast ( the base map I mean ) its pretty light and dose not look vary earthy but that could just be the program. looks like a good way to plan things out though ^^

Could be good for making a base bump map which can then be overlaid with the desired textures and effects. Thanks for the pointer Landorl