Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Carian - Round... Who knows... [WIP]

Quote Originally Posted by LonewandererD View Post
    Hey looking good, my only critique is that the settlement textures (I'm assuming that is what they are) seem a bit out of place, I think it's blur around the edges thats throwing it off for me. Like the farmlands though, very well done.

-D-
    Yeah, I've been attempting to think of a better way to display it, thats why there hasn't been any updates =P... I've been plowing through my inspiration folder trying to find a way to display cities a bit better, and the only ones I've seen that I want to "copy" (just the basic idea not a full replication) have been a few maps from Ascension and you haha I'll come across something that will work..

but I did come up with a pretty dashing text though bahah gotta love tutorials!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Text.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	594.6 KB 
ID:	34562  
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

It's looking really good! Regarding the narrow vs. wide rivers, I've found I prefer them a little wide otherwise they sort of get lost in the rest of the map.
    I too am in the middle of redrawing a continent map for a world I've been working on for a long time so I understand the agonies it causes!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

As to the lil towns/cities - I'd get some color variation in there so that they aren't all one solid color. Whether you use some color or a pattern doesn't matter too much, just something to break it up a tad - and I mean just a tad, nothing too extravagant so lower the opacity if you need to, keep it subtle. As to the title thingy, the letters are moved up and down too far, in my opinion. I'd make the C the biggest since it's a capital letter and make the I smaller, and bring everything more inline than where it is now so that it's easier to read. I really like the concept, though...just hard to read.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks Larb and Ascension, I made a fix for the cities, and I'll play around with the rivers, we'll see how that goes, I also fixed up the text (thanks ascension I was feeling the same thing but I was following the tutorial so yeah...) and then I made another one for my world map, following yet another tutorial bahah great fun let me tell ya

Name:	CaiZ2.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	3.74 MB 
ID:	34610   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Text1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	589.6 KB 
ID:	34611   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Text2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	568.8 KB 
ID:	34612  
    Projects

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Much better, the letters are much easier to read being closer to inline. Pretty cool, man - cities look a lot better (to me, at least).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

The city texture looks much better now, seems much more substantial. Bravo!

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

This is looking great, man. Really great. I'm gonna have to try out that typographic tut also.

Looking good very nice progression. You have a nice selection of texture and color variations on the land . Looks great. Might need to carry it over to the water elements as they seem a bit bland in contrast. Have some rep.
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Thanks for all the comments everyone, and school is killin me, I want to work on this, but I never find time to actually do so, ugh... But regardless Lostatsea, I plan on doing something with the ocean, but when I do, it usually makes the image rather large, making it harder to manage, so I'm procrastinating it like I do all my school work bahaha
    Projects

Update of the zoomed in, do these fit as hills??

And I added another text piece here =D

edit- so besides the color difference in the hills, do they stand too tall for them to be just "hills?"

Name:	CaiZ3.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	3.78 MB 
ID:	34672  
    Projects

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast