Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Isometric Stone Blocks Process

Default Isometric Stone Blocks Process

In total muddle fashion, I have started yet another random map experiment. Anyway, This is an illustration of a simple vector process of creating some isometric stone blocks. Completely inspired by all those old sprite-based rpg video games of yore. I am hoping to create a bunch of different types of block elements and tile them together into an isometric map someday. comments welcome, as always.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	isometric-illustration.png 
Views:	5805 
Size:	379.1 KB 
ID:	34503  

Very cool!

looking very good! Seeing this I really got to try my hands on vectors sometime. cheers, DJ

Continued work... started stacking this blocks a bit like lego bricks... Now that I have a bunch of these blocks stacked together I am feeling like all the little detailed shading bits are just too complicated and distracting. Perhaps I should take a step back and simplify down all those rough edges? Agree, or Disgree?

Name:	test-build.png 
Views:	1481 
Size:	379.5 KB 
ID:	34518  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Can't really say. I'd have to see other styles before making any judgment. I think that they look pretty good, though. It seems to me that you might need some darker colors on the sides to create more contrast and help differentiate between the various planes (top, right side/left side). That will probably require a darker stroke as well. Anyway, it's all personal preference but I might try going either darker or making the cracks smaller/less pronounced.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I dig it. Reminds me of the Habbo Hotel sort of thing. A long while ago I was involved in a pixel art forum (I know this is vector, but...) and there were some guys doing amazing things with one pixel at a time...one even did a whole magazine cover. Have to see if I have any of my stuff from that era.
    M

Edit: link: http://www.habbo.com/
    Edit again: some more cool links: http://www.pixeljoint.com/ http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pix..._Tutorials.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_art
    Last edited by mearrin69; 03-20-2011 at 09:24 PM.

I like them. What app are you using? Do you have an option to round some of the sharp corners? In illustrator it's a stroke option... there are just a few too sharp edges on the blocks.
    Overall though I think it's pretty nice and could lead to a really nice ruins, or town square.

Still experimenting with stacking isometric blocks. Very inspired by the pixel art forum link, but feeling like i won't be able to replicate that look with a vector program.

Name:	castle-top.jpg 
Views:	718 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	34554  

more isometric work... not sure if this qualifies as a map yet, but it is inspired by isometric maps anyway...

Name:	castle2.jpg 
Views:	1025 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	34652  

small update: color test completed

Name:	castle 2.png 
Views:	1101 
Size:	305.8 KB 
ID:	34671  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast