Thread: Strata

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Wip Strata

A slightly different approach to a map.

It's a floating rock with a habitable, flat surface on it's upper side. Long ago a big rock collided with the island, leaving behind a large break in the rim-mountains.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stratajpg.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	34467  

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What a cool idea!! Man I wish I could stand next to you for a minute and let some of that mojo wear off onto me Great Great Great as always.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Thank you, jtougas! Any ideas for other details?

I wonder if you could make a world that was a gas giant where the outer shell of gas was oxygen and then a dense gas beneath, making 'land' float in chunks. Or, you know, magic. It would be wild to have 'continents' that floated around in relation to each other. You could build huge bridges to lash together lots of land. Mapping such a world would be madly complex.
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 03-19-2011 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessEnthusiasm View Post
    I wonder if you could make a world that was a gas giant where the outer shell of gas was oxygen and then a dense gas beneath, making 'land' float in chunks. Or, you know, magic. It would be wild to have 'continents' that floated around in relation to each other. You could build huge bridges to lash together lots of land. Mapping such a world would be madly complex.
    There's a Russian MMORPG called Allods that actually takes that same concept and applies it for their setting. The continents or land masses are called allods and are held in perpetual floating motion by something called the Astral. Some of these allods are connected directly with physical structures but more often then not you have sail between them using the magical eddies formed by the Astral. Very interesting concept. Their maps are very simple since they focus on regional styled maps as opposed to a planetary styled map. Regardless don't mean to hijack your thread Sap.

As for critique I love your hand drawn style and can see it definitely producing something marvelous here but unfortunately the current color scheme is chaffing me a bit. Maybe the colors are too saturated? I don't know.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Wip

I have read some fantasy and sci-fi novels with such concepts.

@geamon: I wanted to depict the rock like illuminated by a lightsource, therefore the orange on the righthand side. Maybe I have to rethink the colour composition.

Name:	strata.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	34502  
    Last edited by Sapiento; 03-19-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Wip

I added two more rocks in the background. I was thinking about adding more variation to the landscape, but deserts or something radical different in climate would not make much sense on such a relatively small space (if there's anything like sense - it's a floating rock, never forget).

Name:	strata.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	34516  

The nebula effect mutes the colors much better. I just wish I had your work ethic.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessEnthusiasm View Post
    Hmm..Sounds like the Abyss. Huge floating chunks of land surrounded by chaos.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.