Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: List of Mapping Software

I noticed töff recommend DungeonCrafter3 in another thread.

I think it ought to be noted that DC3 is a barely functional program that has not been developed since 2007. It has a fixed cell size of 72x72, a maximum map size of 15x15 (developers said it slowed down too much with more complex maps) and cannot save, only export.

DC1 was a perfectly functional program, but limited in terms of cell size and the images it could use. DC2 had improved usability but was never finished and a lot of users used both DC1 and DC2 to work on a single map. DC3 was released when it was in a pre-pre-preAlpha stage, had a very minor bug fix and then nothing. DC1 and DC2 (and tilesets) are available from the DC3 website (Legacy section) and are also available on teh Dungeonforge website.

Quote Originally Posted by Anaerin View Post
    I'm surprised no-one's mentioned it yet, but you can use the Aurora toolset provided free with NWN to make area maps (Though large-scale overview maps aren't possible, that I've seen). The only problem I've come across with it is that there's no simple way to export a shot of a finished map, apart from upping the screen resolution and hitting "Print Screen" (Or using FRAPS).
    If your video card (or whatever it's called) is a Radeon, you should pick up ATI Tray Tools here http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-tray-tools-/. It has a good number of features, including a great screenshot feature. I've got mine set up to transfer to a folder on my desktop, with the number pad + as the screenshot key. It's really quite useful...

Quote Originally Posted by Osidax View Post
    If your video card (or whatever it's called) is a Radeon, you should pick up ATI Tray Tools here http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-tray-tools-/. It has a good number of features, including a great screenshot feature. I've got mine set up to transfer to a folder on my desktop, with the number pad + as the screenshot key. It's really quite useful...
    Congrats! You just earned yourself some rep.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I would add MathMap
    http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/schani/mathmap/

Is free, available as standalone for MAC
    Or in Linux and Windows as a Gimp plugin

As the mame indicate is ideal for mapping several mapping filters are included other available here
    http://photocomix-resources.devianta...cript-74832004

and for edit equirectangular images here

http://photocomix-resources.devianta...t-2-1-83507321

other filters may be easily created (well "easy" is subjective, let say easier then write a correspondent C code
    or Gimp script).

Linux version is much quicker, while the Windows last build
    http://photocomix-resources.devianta...ndows-95950939
    included the extra scripts quoted above.

Hello, I`m new here!

Personal thoughts on the Greenfish Editor...

Pluses:
    - Custom number of towns to be generated on the map
    - Custom town names (from a txt file)
    - Custom map size
    - Custom water/land ratio
    - Nice looking terrain
    - Cool staff - nice reply to my feedback & suggestions mail.

Cons:
    - Early stage of development, some bugs in rendering town names close to edge of map
    - Random seed not allowing much customization of terrain shape / type

(no, I`m not an ad bot, I just like this little app )
    Last edited by RobA; 08-21-2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: App info moved to the main post.

Welcome!

Now about the app I'm playing with it, it's kinda neat, I wish it'd let you make some adjustments once you've got the random image... I put some names in to a text file for generating a map, and it likes to put some that start with Port in the middle of land areas...

As stated in their reply to my suggestions mail, "Development at GFIE is suspended now but will be continued in about a month." so I`ll keep a close watch on this

Campaign Cartographer was mentioned but it is important to note that several of their add-ons can be used in multiple mapping programs to place art objects. And their add-on cosmographer is one of the only software programs that can build a galaxy for the sci fi enthusiasts. (If anyone knows of a better sci-fi galxy builder please list it, as I am always up for that challenge)

Quote Originally Posted by qmslager View Post
    Campaign Cartographer was mentioned but it is important to note that several of their add-ons can be used in multiple mapping programs to place art objects. And their add-on cosmographer is one of the only software programs that can build a galaxy for the sci fi enthusiasts. (If anyone knows of a better sci-fi galxy builder please list it, as I am always up for that challenge)
    I can't vouch for it's utility since I have never used it, but nbos.com develops and sells AstroSynthesis which has abilities to map and create star systems, including some type of randomizing(as well as scripting) of body creation. I have also heard of several others, including some that are free, but can't remember the names off the top of my head.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

I think it kind of depends on what you mean by a galaxy map. Isomage is scripting up a Traveller sector map. I did a scripted galaxy part map for the challenge a while back (Aug08 maybe...) and many programs can use tokens and CAD type effects to make galaxy maps by hand. I think there are plenty of options tho if one style of map floats your boat then I reckon that only then is there a 'best' app for it.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast