Thread: What software to use to create a map-based database?

Question What software to use to create a map-based database?

Hello, everyone!

I'm working as a screnplay writer on a very complicated story that involves a lot of movement, tactics and geographical movement.
    My team needs a major map for every season of the series we're making as a comprehensible database that is map based.

Here's what we need:
    A must:
    - Having a large map with a functional navigation (zooming and panning so it can provide orientation in a, say, fighting scece in a small building, as well as going overland and overseas on long trips)
    - That allows for adding layers with meta-data (in the form of basic lines, circles and areas in the form of lines and polygonal areas meant for political borders and areas of interest, as well as routes for characters.
    - Allows for "pins" or some form of icons added to the certain positions on the map that, when clicked, offer a standard HTML formatted text (formatted text that allows for simple pictures and tables)
    It would be awesome if said software solution could work "through time", sort of like this map: https://quartermaester.info/
    We need to develop the story and make it coherent so that it works. For that we needd spacial orientation and a comprehensive map of all the space we're going to introduce in the story world seems like the best way to do it.

So...
    ... would some of you good people let me know if there's a good software solution for this?

Thank you very much!

Blog Entries

Do the maps for the small buildings need to be on the same zoomy map as the overland long trips or can they be different maps loaded up with the same software ?

Are you after real time drawing of the lines and shapes or is this something you can draw non real time and add to the map ?

Are you after sharing the drawing lines, shapes and map updates with other people over the internet ?

Is it a requirement that someone can view the database using a web browser or could you use a specific app ?

I know of some apps that can do some or most of this but not everything on it. Were using leaflet here with our zoomable maps. Its possible that it can add lines and shapes and we use pins on ours. But I dont know of anything that will jump through time based mapping elements. Guild City is probably the best of ours to look at since it has several pins stuck into it.

https://www.cartographersguild.com/l...type=guildcity

But we dont have the ability to draw on top of it. However I know that the leaflet API has these things and I have seen some people use it.

I wouldnt say that leaflet would be the ideal choice either because its hard to change the background image to it. Leaflet is good for displaying maps that are finished. Your best option is to use a GIS package or a Virtual Table Top. There are several of those about but depends on how you answer the above questions would narrow it down.

"Do the maps for the small buildings need to be on the same zoomy map as the overland long trips or can they be different maps loaded up with the same software ?"
    Good question.
    It would be preferable, but if it's not possible - then sure. Multiple maps might work.
    Mind you - my question was more about the database functionality than map drawing itself.
    Map drawing is (just) a lot of work.
    But navigation and data - I don't know what to work with!

"Are you after real time drawing of the lines and shapes or is this something you can draw non real time and add to the map ?"
    The drawing process and adding the meta-data can and should be separate. As long as the main map can be reloaded - it'll work.
    Except for the meta-data. Such as arrows and pins that add notes about story data.
    I.e. signalling an area of the city that's being covered by a certain faction. Or showing the advancement and route of a particular expedition or a military force.

"Are you after sharing the drawing lines, shapes and map updates with other people over the internet ?"
    That's ok, but not necessary.
    We'd rather not rely on software that's exclusively online in general.
    If it comes with the price of not collaborating in realtime - that's better than risking losing it on a server.

"Is it a requirement that someone can view the database using a web browser or could you use a specific app ?"
    Not at all.
    An offline desktop app is just fine.

"I know of some apps that can do some or most of this but not everything on it. Were using leaflet here with our zoomable maps. Its possible that it can add lines and shapes and we use pins on ours. But I dont know of anything that will jump through time based mapping elements."
    That's a shame.
    If the software supports multiple layers that can easily be managed... maybe that's a way we can do it. :/

"Guild City is probably the best of ours to look at since it has several pins stuck into it.
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/l...type=guildcity"
    *Looking at it.
    Yes!
    That's EXACTLY the functinality of navigation and pins that we're looking for!

"But we dont have the ability to draw on top of it. However I know that the leaflet API has these things and I have seen some people use it."
    Knew there was a buzz-kill there, somewhere.
    Leaflet API... I'll take a look at it.
    Thank you!

"I wouldnt say that leaflet would be the ideal choice either because its hard to change the background image to it. Leaflet is good for displaying maps that are finished. Your best option is to use a GIS package or a Virtual Table Top. There are several of those about but depends on how you answer the above questions would narrow it down."
    I was about to try QGIS.
    Does that make sense?
    And - what Virtual Table Top do you think would serve this purpose?

Thanks a lot!

Did you find any software to suit your needs?

I also need one because we work across different states, and it would be awesome to attach a map to the database for visual info presentation.

When it comes to creating a map-based database with all those awesome features, you might want to consider custom software development. It gives you the flexibility to design the perfect solution that fits your unique needs.