Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: List of Mapping Software

Post Update to Terraform

Title: Terraform
    Vendor: Open source(Robert Gasch and David Bartold)
    Web Site: http://terraform.sourceforge.net
    Type: Raster Based
    Focus: Mapping/Fractal/3D
    Platform: X-Windows(works on Mac and, I believe Windows)
    Price: free
    Description:
    Terraform is an open source interactive height field generation and manipulation program, giving you the ability to generate random terrain and transform it. Terraform runs under Linux and other UNIX systems under the X11 Windowing system. It uses the GNOME desktop platform and thus has a (more or less) consistent graphical user interface which doesn't require use of the command line.
    Terraform allows you to generate random terrain using a number of algorithms and then selectiveley change the terrain using a variety of transformations. Where possible, the transformations provide a real-time preview, giving you instant feedback on the effect of any parameter changes.

Examples:
    None Yet.

The link above does not exist. I searched the site for Terraform and came up with nada. Not sure if anyone already posted this. If so, sorry.

I guess I spoke too soon on my last post. It turns out a lot of the links for free software are bad. I'm not complaining, just pointing it out. Not sure if the original posts in this thread can be updated. I'm really interested in cartography and was hoping to play around with some of the software and tutorials on this site. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmytempe View Post
    I guess I spoke too soon on my last post. It turns out a lot of the links for free software are bad. I'm not complaining, just pointing it out. Not sure if the original posts in this thread can be updated. I'm really interested in cartography and was hoping to play around with some of the software and tutorials on this site. Thanks for the info!
    Terraform Home Page

-Rob A>

Guild Novice

This is a great list. A bit overwhelming perhaps. Any opinions on the best tool to start with for drawing fantasy overland maps? Looks like Campaign Cartographer 3 might be where to start, but are there any free tools that rival it? TIA

I'm currently running photoshop and I love it, but my computer does not. It's a bit processor heavy for the poor thing. Does anyone know if Gimp is a little easier on the computer to run? Thank you!

Blog Entries

I don't know how it is compared to photoshop, but GIMP gives my 7 year old laptop a stroke about once every 3 days or so...

then again if I didn't have like 5 of the 4000 x 4000 images open, maybe it won't....
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected Brian McBride's Avatar

Hello, I'm Brian and I'm new here. I'm an author and find it very convenient to create maps for the fantasy worlds I create. I'm fairly fluent in GIMP and do not use photoshop simply because I cannot afford it. What I'm looking for are some tutorials for rendering maps in GIMP. Could anyone direct me? Thanks.

Probably a good place to start is RobA's tutorial on creating an artistic map in GIMP - its probably the most read tutorial thread on the board. Note the search box at the top right of this site - just enter "GIMP tutorials" and you'll find a bunch.

I noticed your thread on ENWorld boards, and was going to point you here, but seen someone already did in that thread. Good luck in your search for a cartographer, but I'd recommend, if you are somewhat familiar with GIMP to follow the tutorials, make your own map and save you some money! I do commissions too, but you can't afford me, and I'm too busy anyway. Good luck in your endeavors.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Novice

I've seen XYZ on a google search. As I stated in a post the other day I am looking for software and will look into this one. David

Guild Novice

By the way, I think Heavy Metal Map is listed twice. David.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast