Thread: Tutorials for Drawing Fantasy Characters

Default Tutorials for Drawing Fantasy Characters

Hey,

I know this is off topic but I can't find any tutorials for it anywhere else. I'm making maps (post them up soon), but I need character art to go with them for the story. I can't find any decent tutorials for drawing characters (I'm after either downloadable videos or PDF, because online not work for me because I live in rural Thailand and can't get the net in my house so have to use net cafe). I'm just wanting to draw the pencil outline, black and white pictures you've no doubt seen in the pages of many books. Just simple, you know, but so people can get an idea for the character I'm describing and have a picture in their mind of what they look like and are wearing.

My next map finish soon, post up in a few days I reckon. But please help with this if you can.

Thankyou.
    Octavian.

Oh, I use Photoshop CS3 extemded and only have a mouse... I manage...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I can't help you with anything online but there are some great books at the bookstore for this...everything from realistic drawing to Anime/Manga style. There might be some at the library. The only one that I ever bought was called How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way but my nieces use a bunch of the faerie drawing books and Anime books.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

The Marvel Way… book is excellent. Also, I like pose books that have a model standing in various poses photographed from every angle. They make it very easy to get the proportions, foreshortening and physiology correct.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I have the following 'self help' art books, and speak highly of ALL (if you can find them, get them:

JACK HAMM:

Drawing the Head & Figure (ISBN 0-399-50791-4) also published as How to Draw the Figure from Head to Toe (ISBN 0-7740-3533-1)
    How to draw Scenery (ISBN 0-744-3531-1)
    How to Draw Animals (ISBN 0-399-50802-3)

J Peffer
    DRAGONART How to Draw Fantastic Dragons and Fantasy Creatures (ISBN 1-58180-657-4)

CHRISTOPHER HART
    Drawing Cutting Edge Comics (0-8230-2397-4)
    Drawing Cutting Edge Anatomy (0-8230-2398-2)

ANDREW LOOMIS
    Drawing the Head and Hands (0670283851)
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave