Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newby seeking input

Wip Newby seeking input

Hi, I've been lurking on these excellent forums for a few months but would now like to offer a paltry effort for comment.

This is a simple regional map for my ongoing campaign. Many of you will probably recognize elements (modified) from the Bissel area of Greyhawk and from a 3.0 series of WotC modules. The map is designed to give the players a high-level view of the journey from the village of Blasingdell (west side of the map) to Thornward (on the east). The map is done using the Pete Fenton style from the January 2008 Annual for CC3. I love the soft colours of this style although I've adjusted some of the sheet effects a bit, mostly to make the blur less pronounced on some elements. The font is Gaeilge, supplied with the annual. Personally I find it a bit hard to read but it does look good.

I'd appreciate any comments anyone has.
    Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northwestern Bissel.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	688.3 KB 
ID:	2186  

Well, the only comment I can think of by looking at your map is the following:

Very Well Done!

The colors are not overbearing, and are muted 'just right'

The text is clear, and easy to read.

A Nice map.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

It looks like a nice, cleanly layoud map with good visual balance.

The only thing I dislike are the blurry lines at full magnification, though I have seen that on a number of CC3 maps posted here, so I assume it is a function applied style.

-Rob A>

Nice map, welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the kind words.

The lines are blurry as a result of a sheet effect--this particular style came with quite a bit of blur, which I toned down on the symbols and roads.

Thks again.

I like this style of map, it is one of the better additions to CC3. From what I have heard, the Feb. issue will add a few more symbols. I would love to see some more mountain symbols, because they do become a bit repetitive after a while.

One minor problem. There is a river flowing into the lake that is just below the word "Barrier", and it doesn't quite make it to the lake.

Other than that, it looks quite nice.

It's a lovely map, but for me, the escarpment symbols clash with the perspective of the rest of the map and they appear to be meant to be viewed from top down but the other symbols are more perspective - which makes the map look a little 'off' to me. I would suggest losing the escarpment symbol and using something else ... maybe little hill symbols instead.

Good eye landorl -- I just spotted the short river myself!

Thanks ravells -- great idea. I'm going to try the hills and see which one I like better. The escarpments don't impact me the way they do you but I'll give it a try.

Post Reminds me of my mountains...

Although these mountains feature less lines, and a soft subtlty with the grey interior lines differ, however... they remind me of my mountain objects from Superstition Valley, in a way. Similar style anyway - much softer though.

Just an observation.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    It's a lovely map, but for me, the escarpment symbols clash with the perspective of the rest of the map and they appear to be meant to be viewed from top down but the other symbols are more perspective - which makes the map look a little 'off' to me. I would suggest losing the escarpment symbol and using something else ... maybe little hill symbols instead.
    Or just give the escarpments the same perspective angle... which would probably be easier.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast