Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom map using google maps?

Default Custom map using google maps?

Hi guys! long time no see!

My question is: Can I use google maps to create a interctie world map made by me? I saw one like this in Lord of the rings online site, with middle earth on google maps engine. Is there possible? How can I do this?

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

Yes this can be done, I have a GE plug in for my own world.

It has the various layers for political boundaries, countries, population centers, even place markers for each Story Arc in the campaign.

Now the bad news.

I have no idea how to do this, I hired someone do it for me.

I will give a word of caution that it takes a LOT of mapping to pull this off. A high quality high res image at continent view when zoomed in gets very pixilated. There is a way of adding additional images on top to simulate the same way you drill down on GE but each of those maps needs to be created and linked correctly.

I attached a sample so you can see what I mean prior to attaching any additional images. DSWorld.zip

BOB
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

But you can use it on a site for example? I mean, Players can manipulate it e pace markers so then they willi stay tehere for everyone to see? The map I was talking about is this one: http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Special:Interactivemap

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

Mine is not interactive that way to be used on my site. It is only for download to show locational information.

BOB

edit: Clarification

Some of what is available there on the LoTRO map is available through the GE interface by simply adding more and more layers and folders. You can turn on or off all sort of relevant places on the map.

It seems like it would be possible for the GE engine to work interactively/dynamically the way you want just not sure how that mechanism works.
    Last edited by anstett; 03-22-2011 at 04:45 PM. Reason: clarification
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

I'm working to find a way do to this.

That is an awesome project!

found this tutorial on google. It's exacly what I wanted to do!!!

I just can't find a way to have the tile cutter plugin working on photoshop cs4

EDIT:
    Just found another Java API that handles this function.
    Last edited by betomuraro; 03-22-2011 at 06:07 PM.

Thanks for that link betomuraro.

It looks like it does more than GMap Image Cutter 1.4 which I've been using now (it makes basic google-style maps out of your images using the google api). Sounds like this adds in layers, markers, and menu control. I look forward to experimenting. (And hope it's a runtime for java, not just an api - I'm no programmer).

I think it's an API and does need programming skills as far as I know... But hits tool you use...does it allow you do place markers (maybe trace some roads and points of interest) and stuff like that on your maps????

I've used this: http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/software/g...magecutter.asp

I usually make my 30000x15000 pixel image in PS. Somewhere I've posted the maximum file sizes I was able to get working and the command line function I used to maximize memory used to do so. If you search for 'gmap image cutter' on here, you should find the info (it was a fair while back). There are others out there now that are more advanced, though, I'm sure. This was/is simple and worked well at the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast