Thread: Optical Illusion graphic as map object???

Question Optical Illusion graphic as map object???

I just found a strange graphic of an optical illusion on another forums site (I am inquiring as to who created it to find out more...)

Attached is a graphic of squares with varying shades of colored borders. Look at, move your eyes up and down the graphic, see the curious rippling effect?

I am sure this effect would still work in print...

I wonder if it would be worth trying out a map using this graphic as the floor for a temple, or the summoning chamber of a wizard's stronghold. I wonder if I can create a more complex design using the squares and colored lines to duplicate the effect without looking so minimal in color use... hmmmm?

Image:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wavy-squares.gif 
Views:	2440 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	2187  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Professional Artist

Maybe if you adjusted the colors you could use it as a water fill. Then you could have nice rippling waves.

Post Here's one...

Here's one, I call it "holes, no holes"...

Name:	no-holes.gif 
Views:	5177 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	2189  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

It looks to me as though it isn't the colors that matter so much in that first image as the alternating bevel and emboss that's been done, along with alternating light directions for each. You could probably get the same effect no matter which colors you chose to use. I did a quick alteration to make it greyscale. It's not as pronounced an effect--I suspect contrast plays a part in the illusion. It still works, though.

edit: And a new experiment, with a colored til pattern. Again, the change dampens the effect somewhat, but it is still perceptible.

Name:	wavy-squares-grey.GIF 
Views:	696 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	2192   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wavy-squares-newcolor.GIF 
Views:	345 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	2193  
    Last edited by Midgardsormr; 01-24-2008 at 06:49 PM.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name