View Poll Results: Map Star Forts / defensive structure?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yesssss! Just try and defeat this.

8 100.00%
  • No, I'm a lover not a fighter so don't need no stinking fort.

0 0%

Thread: Star Forts

Default Star Forts

Hello all, lurker here. I've tried my hands at mapping a few things (though my programs are ancient, and my artistic style isn't). Recently I had been embarking on creating starforts, and was looking at various designs through history.

I've been enjoying it and I noted that there was a suggestion forum for mapping challenges. So I figured I'd throw one out there for you all. I've mostly been focusing on constructing star forts that are also cities (like Geneva), and I must say it's a much more unique style then the standard "build wall around town" campaign stuff I am used too.

So, that said: Don't know how interested anyone would be in such a challenge, but at least it's out there now. ^_^

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Not a bad idea. I'll try to remember this when we get to the next structure map challenge.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I am going to try this at some point but I got to get my skills up with space ships and small space staions first

I think that he meant the Renaissance style of fortresses with all of the pointy walls, rather than something to defend against an interstellar invasion.
    But I thought of the latter when I saw the topic title as well.

If you decide to go with this at some point, I suggest that you make the definition as open as possible to create a diversity of submittals:
    A 'Star Wars' star fort, a Renaissance star fort, an orc village in the swamp defended with a star fort stockade, a farming village with concentric star fortifications (crop and buildings), whatever else imaginations can devise ...

Blog Entries

Maybe something a bit broader like "Clever Fortifications" or "Technical Defences" to cover any sort of interesting and carefully designed defensive structure. So it might be a star fort map, that actually shows the overlapping fields of fire of the gun emplacements, but it might also be a Pre-gunpowder castle that shows all the defensive structures like an angled entry causeway to restrict the use of battering rams or nested escalating walls that can attack the walls outside themselves but not those inside. Anything that relies on the design of the structure rather than "extra" features like shield generators or magic, or the size of its garrison, or the like (though they can be added too).

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

This sounds really promising!

Poll created:

Just realized this was missing it's poll to see how many folks were interested. Great idea but I hope it doesn't happen too soon since I just did a fort of sorts.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

i would like thic challenge very much, been itching to trya big complex star fort and this will give me a great incentive

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

I like this idea, but agree that it should be expanded to allow other fortification styles