Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Untitled (as yet) map

Blog Entries

Not much of an update here from the last one as I'm really kinda struggling with this. This is actually my first non-commission map that isn't to do with the world I created for my story over many years and as such I've found it hard to get in the right mindset to think of towns, cities etc. and where they should go.
    I started to draw some in a perspective style but after drawing a tower I'd sit back and stare at it for an hour and wonder where to go next. So to help alleviate that problem I whipped up some quick 2d icons and was able to place them much quicker. These red icons are only temporary, and I do intend to replace them all with perspective markers similar to the few I've done in the SW of the island. I do quite like the look of them though and I think I'll probably use this style on another map.

Not much else to report I guess... added an extract from a poem. Roughed in a few cliffs in one position as a test. Umm... the two labels I added are not final btw, feel free to discount them at your leisure.

Anyhoo... here's where I'm at now...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UnknowneLands3.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	36295
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

They look pretty cool I think. Reminds me of the old Risk plastic tokens for armies.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

This looks like a real piece of artwork. Love this one and love the WIP you've been posting. Like everyone else, I'm blown away by those waves.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

BAH-uuutiful ...looks fantastic, the only thing is the title - imho its to large
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hmmm... looks like I forgot to turn to page 2 *lol* ... love the 3D city icons (the 2D are fun too) - and the poem and the colored icons helps a lot on the title - it doesn't dominate as much
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Another Ramah masterpiece!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Looking forward to seeing more of this Ramah.... I love the ISOish town icons you have going on. You should consider a swamp in there somewhere, personally, I like the area below the large lake... then the castle would be..... "Swamp Castle".... heh....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Stunning map!

What resolution, width and height did you start with?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345