Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Untitled (as yet) map

Blog Entries

Default Untitled (as yet) map

Hey there.

I'm still trying to get my mojo back up to speed. So as a break from a project I need to finish but is boring me rigid, I decided to make a start on a new map. The current idea is that this is going to be done very quickly and very roughly. I'm not currently interested in spending weeks agonising over tiny details. So although you can tell by the image, this map is very rough, it might not look much better when it is complete.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled1.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	34573

The plan is to spend half an hour on this whenever my other projects start getting me frustrated. Even so, I expect to have this done much quicker than my usual stuff.

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention... I also decided that I'm not allowed to use the eraser.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Those mountains look pretty, I love the over-exposed look. I need to make an archipelago map using this sort of perspective so I may have to borrow the style and see how it turns out.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Agreed, cool effect. I hate using the eraser as well, takes too much time and I get too anal about it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Hey there.

I'm still trying to get my mojo back up to speed. So as a break from a project I need to finish but is boring me rigid, I decided to make a start on a new map. The current idea is that this is going to be done very quickly and very roughly. I'm not currently interested in spending weeks agonising over tiny details. So although you can tell by the image, this map is very rough, it might not look much better when it is complete.

Name:	Untitled1.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	34573

The plan is to spend half an hour on this whenever my other projects start getting me frustrated. Even so, I expect to have this done much quicker than my usual stuff.

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention... I also decided that I'm not allowed to use the eraser.
    Sometime you just gotta draw a MAP.... Looks very cool
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

Like the look alot! Something about it just says "this is what we know, the rest there might be dragons"

Question on the one mountain, is it supposed to be that much higher than the surrounding ones? or is that a potential eraser casualty?

Also want to see how that lone super tower/mountain/structure turns out.

BOB
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

Blog Entries

Anstett: It is just a large mountain, thrown in there for variation. I usually throw one or two "superpeaks" in at some stage. Might be geographically stupid but I like to think it gives options for cool backstory if and when it is needed.

Anyhoos, a new image. Spent some time this afternoon working on the coast and the ocean...

Name:	Untitled2.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	34604

... obviously it isn't finished yet.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

Would you be so kind as to share what tools you are using for this map? I imagine pencils and inking pens, plus some manner of paints?

I lack the artistic ability to emulate this kind of work, but I wouldn't mind trying!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LinkSkywalker View Post
    Would you be so kind as to share what tools you are using for this map? I imagine pencils and inking pens, plus some manner of paints?

I lack the artistic ability to emulate this kind of work, but I wouldn't mind trying!
    Nope, nothing like that. Just photoshop.

Blog Entries

Small update.

Roughed in some heraldic shields, tested a forest style, faffed about with some clouds...

Name:	Untitled3.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	34829

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

I like the Shields and charges on them and the clouds.

Not feeling the forest or at least it feels more like a green jelly attacking the hills there rather than trees to me. It might be that the coloring is too subtle for me to pick up though.

BOB
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast