Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The world of "Sea Of Sand, Castle Of Thought" book.

Wip The world of "Sea Of Sand, Castle Of Thought"

Hello everyone.

I am writing a book and I have decided to share the map of it's world with you. I really don't know when I am going to finish the book, as I write when I have free time during my free time . I am sure about one thing, I am going to finish making maps about the book after I finish writing the book. Each time period will be presented in several styles of maps. As the story and time progress, the world will suffer a lot of wars, destruction and pollution due the human activities, and I want the maps to be able to show that. Thats why they are somehow detailed.

A little info about the world- first of all it is not on a planet and second, it is man made.
    So it is not a sphere and it has no poles, still it has a climate ranging from continental temprate to equatorial, in Earth's standarts of climate.

In the making of the map I am using Photoshop CS5 and Auto Realm for the outline of the continents.
    The terrain is "satellite image" like. Still the map is not like actual satellite image, because this is not my intention.
    The similarities of the continent on the left side with the Americas are intentional.

World Map (before refinements)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	myworldGeographic.jpg 
Views:	1982 
Size:	4.69 MB 
ID:	35701

Normal style maps (updated on 8.6.2011)

Name:	2AEphy.png 
Views:	187 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	36394Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2AEphy2.png 
Views:	309 
Size:	3.65 MB 
ID:	36395
    Last edited by joebg; 06-08-2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: update

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Holy frejoles, that's a lot of rivers! Glad to see that I'm not the only obsessive in that area. The bottom right one doesn't have any, though (in case you didn't notice, but you probably did). The only thing that I could really say at this point is that you might need some more fade-out on that central desert...put something like a tan around it and fade-out into green.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yeah, there are a lot of rivers really. The actual map size is 5x the image I uploaded and looked at original size they do not seem so close to each other.
    I made it huge, because in my book I nee different sections of the map in detail. So basically I am getting like for example the central desert and making a completely new set of maps out of it for the related chapter. For those regional maps to be of a decent resolution I made a huge world map.
    Thanks for the central desert advice, I will make nice transaction to grasslands at the areas that are not mountain borders.
    By the way this central desert is the only one that is filled with dunes, that's why it looks like with no texture from that zoom level, actually it is texturized.

The geographic land map is completed, now the oceans need to be updated to fit the land style.
    Finally the map effects will be added and the actual political and events mapping will begin.
    Last edited by joebg; 05-10-2011 at 06:07 PM.

First post updated.

The oceans shading is complete and the land terrain is refined. I have made a small regional map, showing two kingdoms. Its dot-centered, which is the style I like ot use in early development.
    No map legend for now, the white dots are main villages, the red ones are military outposts, the blue one naval bases, the yellow ones are production centres and the brown ones are raw resource production centres. I have added tonal contrast effect to the whole map, which is just for testing. This is just the begining of the actual civilization mapping I will do.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's an insane amount of detail, and it looks great. The mountains are especially effective. Repped!

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great Start.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I don't particularly like the look of the sea shores in my map, but I can't think of way to make them more realistic and good looking. Now they are basicalli just the terrain ending and the sea starting. I'm open to any suggestions.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joebg View Post
    I don't particularly like the look of the sea shores in my map, but I can't think of way to make them more realistic and good looking. Now they are basicalli just the terrain ending and the sea starting. I'm open to any suggestions.
    The only thing I'd do there is put a stroke around the shore, one or two pixels max, in a black or dark gray, and see how it looks.

The terrain color and the farmland textures were refined (first post updated) and a raw map on all the initial states was created.
    I am still thinking about the style of the political map, if the labels should be curved and if I am to apply some kind of leather or paper effect and age effect.
    Still, here are all the state along with their state seals. (the fog of war is not what it will be when the political map is finished)

Name:	2AE2.png 
Views:	352 
Size:	4.72 MB 
ID:	36398Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2AE.png 
Views:	255 
Size:	4.30 MB 
ID:	36399
    Last edited by joebg; 06-08-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast