Thread: Ocean currents, climates & Biomes help

Wip Ocean currents, climates & Biomes help

Hello all!

So, I'm currently working on a world map for a worldbuilding project. The planet is generally the same as our Earth in rotation, axial tilt, etc. Only real difference is the landmasses as this is my first serious attempt at this.

As the title says, I've hit a bit of a snag. I have the general elevation map (The one below is slightly simplified, green being lows and grey being highs):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elevation Simplified.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	815.9 KB 
ID:	90560

Basically, I can't seem to wrap my head around the wind patterns, ocean currents, etc to determine the climates and biomes. Any help with this and just some constructive critique on the map in general would be much appreciated, as I feel this is an area where I'm clueless (I'm a creative, not a scientist )

For reference of Latitude/Longitude, and just so we avoid the "That southern right continent there" type discussion, here's a map with the continents labeled with their names:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Continents Names.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	90561

Thanks!

-Storm

Seriously, nothing? I've tried following tutorials and whatnot but I've just hit a brick wall here. No one's willing to help me out with this?

Blog Entries

unless you are going to run real simulation software like
    http://mitgcm.org/
    or
    http://aom.giss.nasa.gov/
    or
    "GCM for deep paleoclimate studies"
    http://csdms.colorado.edu/wiki/Model:WACCM-EE
    http://gcmd.nasa.gov/records/UCAR_WACCM.html

just make educated guesses , it is just basic thermodynamics movement

air moves based on Coriolis effect for the two hemispheres and solar heat

water also dose but has a HUGE component controlled by the shape of the land masses and ocean floor
    and the ocean heat is in a feedback loop with the air and solar heat

basic freshman physics and fluid dynamics
    Last edited by johnvanvliet; 01-02-2017 at 07:46 PM.
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Hey Storm,
    I have been doing some research on that myself.

The earth is on an angle to the sun. The Equator catches the most sunshine, so it is the warmest. However it is also a zone of low pressure. It is warm and wet.

At 30 degrees north and south of the equator. There is a high pressure zone. The air is dry, and since it is still quite close to the equator, it catches much sunlight. Dry and Warm.

At 60 degrees north and south. We find another low pressure area. It is a little bit further away from the equator, so it catches less sunlight. This is a temperate area. The air is wet and cool.

At 90 degrees/the poles. We have another high pressure zone, creating a cold and dry area. If Antartica did not have any snow or ice on top of it, it would be as dry as the sahara.

--

The pattern that occurs when air rises warm, and descends cool, creates six donut shaped belts around the earth. Called the Hadley Cells, The Ferrer Cells and the Polar Cells.

The wind pattern in these cells go like this

North Pole
    <--
    60 degrees north
    -->
    30 degrees north
    <--
    equator
    <--
    30 degrees south
    -->
    60 degrees south
    <--
    South pole

----

Mountains often have a dry and a wet side. When the wet air hits the mountain, it is unable to pass, It rains on one side, creating a rainshadow on the other. Following the weather patterns, you can now find out where those area's are.

----

The Ocean currents follow the wind patterns. When it his a landmass, it bends, sometime it bends enough to enter another wind cell. Creating a stream and making an area or colder than it should be according to its latitude. For example, Norway and Greenland lay on the same latitude, but because of the gulf stream, Norway is much warmer.

---

For interesting reads, google: Hadley Cell, Coriolis Effect, Gulf Stream.

Well, there are a few tutorials around on how to determine the climates in a more-or-less realistic fashion. It however really depends on just how detailed you want this to be. The most recent and the most detailed is Azelor's tutorial.

Also, I'd recommend making a WIP thread in the Regional/World mapping section for feedback, as that tends to be more active, so you're more likely to receive advice/opinions. Basically, just start simple, say, with creating a map of the oceanic currents (those should be relatively easy to do), and then post it so people can comment on it. That is, if you want to do this the "hard way" and follow Azelor's steppe-by-steppe tutorial. Just be aware that it's a fairly time consuming process, but on the positive side you're likely to learn quite a few things about how Earth's climate system works as part of the process .
    Last edited by Charerg; 01-05-2017 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by woekan View Post
    Hey Storm,
    I have been doing some research on that myself.

The earth is on an angle to the sun. The Equator catches the most sunshine, so it is the warmest. However it is also a zone of low pressure. It is warm and wet.

At 30 degrees north and south of the equator. There is a high pressure zone. The air is dry, and since it is still quite close to the equator, it catches much sunlight. Dry and Warm.

At 60 degrees north and south. We find another low pressure area. It is a little bit further away from the equator, so it catches less sunlight. This is a temperate area. The air is wet and cool.

At 90 degrees/the poles. We have another high pressure zone, creating a cold and dry area. If Antartica did not have any snow or ice on top of it, it would be as dry as the sahara.

--

The pattern that occurs when air rises warm, and descends cool, creates six donut shaped belts around the earth. Called the Hadley Cells, The Ferrer Cells and the Polar Cells.

The wind pattern in these cells go like this

North Pole
    <--
    60 degrees north
    -->
    30 degrees north
    <--
    equator
    <--
    30 degrees south
    -->
    60 degrees south
    <--
    South pole

----

Mountains often have a dry and a wet side. When the wet air hits the mountain, it is unable to pass, It rains on one side, creating a rainshadow on the other. Following the weather patterns, you can now find out where those area's are.

----

The Ocean currents follow the wind patterns. When it his a landmass, it bends, sometime it bends enough to enter another wind cell. Creating a stream and making an area or colder than it should be according to its latitude. For example, Norway and Greenland lay on the same latitude, but because of the gulf stream, Norway is much warmer.

---

For interesting reads, google: Hadley Cell, Coriolis Effect, Gulf Stream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
    Well, there are a few tutorials around on how to determine the climates in a more-or-less realistic fashion. It however really depends on just how detailed you want this to be. The most recent and the most detailed is Azelor's tutorial.

Also, I'd recommend making a WIP thread in the Regional/World mapping section for feedback, as that tends to be more active, so you're more likely to receive advice/opinions. Basically, just start simple, say, with creating a map of the oceanic currents (those should be relatively easy to do), and then post it so people can comment on it. That is, if you want to do this the "hard way" and follow Azelor's steppe-by-steppe tutorial. Just be aware that it's a fairly time consuming process, but on the positive side you're likely to learn quite a few things about how Earth's climate system works as part of the process .
    Thanks for your input! I'm not wanting to go super-detailed, just enough to make it believable and start placing cultures and stuff.