Thread: Volux 1st attempt

Wip Volux 1st attempt

Hello All,
    I am newer to the Forum and have been lurking for a little while. I was recently inspired by RobA and his fantastic tutorial. I am rebuilding my Fantasy game world from scratch and chose to take on something more than a crude pen and pencil map this time. All my previous attempts have gone to the wayside but thanks to RobA I feel a lot more comfortable with my GIMP mapping skills. Please any feedback and help would be more than appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Volux draft2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	34943  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Not bad. Just chop those rivers up so that they don't connect two oceans (rivers flow from mountains to the sea not sea to sea). If they're man-made canals then forget what I just said.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks, I am terrain challenged. Fixed that. Will post once i do more work.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nice start. Here's a few things to look at (and change if you want) 1. The ocean texture is too big for the scale of this map. It looks like the landmass is in space or on some other plane (which if it is then it's perfect. ) 2. Be careful with your rivers. You have a couple that don't blend in with your ocean. 3. The mountains are very nice but they are HUGE (again if thy are supposed to be then perfect ) You might also want to try to blend them in with the surrounding area a bit. One trick is to use the airbrush tool at about 30-40% opacity and the "fuzzy" circle brush with a medium brown color to brush around the base of the mountains. (I hope that made sense) If the mountains are on their own layer you can make another layer on top of them for this step which will give you the option of changing blend modes on the layer as well. 4. Your landmasses are really good but could use definition. You should be able to select them with the magic wand tool and try a stroke around them (maybe black at size 2 or 3 or whatever looks good to you). All in all it's a great first start your onto something good I'm looking forward to what's next.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.