Thread: WIP - Aterra Subcontinent

Wip WIP - Aterra Subcontinent

Well, I've been a lurker of these forums for a while and have always admired the talent that peruses these dusty halls. But now I've taken the plunge and started working on a regional map of the campaign I am currently running. Considering I have no artistic talent, it will be a challenge. Fortunately, I know my way around PSP. So here is Aterra, obviously a work in progress. Feel free to critique and offer suggestions, but it is rather primitive right now with the generic layout of land masses and water.

I have reduced the size considerably from the original.

Thanks!!

Name:  World Map - Thumbnail.jpg
Views: 1305
Size:  12.2 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World Map.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	34921  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd say connect the lake to a river but it's not technically necessary - just common sensically necessary (there are places on earth where lakes don't connect to anything but they're far and few). Otherwise, so far so good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I'd say connect the lake to a river but it's not technically necessary - just common sensically necessary (there are places on earth where lakes don't connect to anything but they're far and few). Otherwise, so far so good.
    Thanks. That region is going to be populated with mountains, which drain into the lake.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks very good. That big island in the bay just screams out for some sort of keep or walled city (of course I'm sure you already have all that figured out but I'm a big fan of the "city on the island thing ")
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    Looks very good. That big island in the bay just screams out for some sort of keep or walled city (of course I'm sure you already have all that figured out but I'm a big fan of the "city on the island thing ")
    Thanks. LOL. It's funny. That was initially all land. I saw a map here (it may have been Ascension's) where two rivers immediately emptied into a lake. That's kind of the effect I was going for, but I like how it turned out.

I like your idea... The campaign I run focuses around a society that has been "trapped" on it's own for 2000 years in order to keep the safety of the realm from prying eyes (should the threat ever return, of course). While their society stayed the same, the world evolved around them. That island could be that location... It initially was going to be the aforementioned mountains, since they are completely secluded in a basin in the mountains. But that is not to say that it can't be relocated.

Besides, that is the type of region on a map you are always trying to get into. How interesting to flip that on its ear and be the place to get out from.