Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: March 2011 Entry: Board Game: 'Viking Age'

Guild Novice

Default March 2011 Entry: Board Game: 'Viking Age'

Howdy,

I spotted this contest a week or so ago just as I was starting a new map design for the board game 'Castle Vox'. Vox has only been released for six months or so and Viking Age was released for play this very same day

The board game Castle Vox is little bit like Risk and Axis & Allies (probably more like the latter) It's certainly all about strategy. Team play is also a feature of a lot of the maps, including Viking Age. Turns are made simultaneously and turn times are generally 16 - 24 hours online... or as long or short as you want at home.

Anyway here is it. (This is a screen shot of it directly off the board game console at the beginning of a game)

And here is another screenshot of it being played (for the first time) today... and with a full house, although we're only two rounds in so far. (I'm player 'Behemoth')

i also designed the units that appear on the board - soldiers, cavalry and castles.

And finally here are the finished files I made for the game. There's an overground and foreground map file here which you see combined. The colour of the regions is determined by the game settings but as this image came out of Photoshop I just laid in the colour shown so the foreground was visible (otherwise it's black)

Last edited by Jude; 03-26-2011 at 08:04 PM.

Pretty! Have some rep for that.
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks great - I'm not sure you can submit that for the competition - basic principle is that its a map created for the competition (although you can use it for other stuff) and that you have the same "time" to do is as all others. But it looks damn good - and have some rep from me as well
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Yes, unfortunately, Tilt is right. Any map challenge entry cannot be started before the start of a given challenge - as in the first of the month. Since your board game is 6 months old, it misses that criteria. Essentially you read what the theme is for a given map challenge, then begin creating your map at that time, and complete it before voting starts. You have about 25 days from start to finish to include an entry into any Cartographers' Guild map challenge.

If you created a given map anytime before the start of a challenge, it is by default disqualified as an entry.

The whole point of a map challenge is like doing a commission for a publisher. You are given the rules on what is required then you have less than a month to complete that challenge.

Your map is very pretty, but it cannot serve as a challenge entry.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03-27-2011 at 07:54 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Unless this was a new board you just crafted for that game? It sounds like this one came out at the same day the game did 6 months ago.

Awesome looking though and I may have to go check this game out.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 03-28-2011 at 03:51 AM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Novice

Hi,

I started designing Viking Age about a week and a half - two weeks ago, approx the same time I saw the thread for the board game challange. Viking Age was released for play on March 27th. The board game Castle Vox has 60 maps available to play (some of them mine) and more in development.

Anyway no drama if you don't feel it fits with the challenge, but for the record I finished Viking Age in about two weeks. The board game Castle Vox was released in October 2010 from memory. Sorry if that was unclear in my first post.

Apologize, if the map is that young, then it qualifies. It certainly is match for the challenge - just by going on the language of the original post, we thought it might have been older than that. Continue on then, and forgive us for misunderstanding.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Oh, in that case, we have a contender here because this is very nice.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Novice

Glad to hear that, thanks for the feedback.

Guild Novice

After looking at some of the other entries I see I'm missing WIP material. I'll be mindful to include it next time. Anyway I put together a few images from the map folder that didn't get trashed.

I included what what I could find of the designs for the board game units + a reference image I sourced for sketching.

I started the map with an idea of including all of Europe, plus Iceland, Greenland and 'Vinland' (North America. Yep the Vikings made their way there too) I settled on a smaller area in the end where Viking invaders had arguably their most significant impact.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast