Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Afternoon

Post Good Afternoon

I guess ths is the obligatory "Hallo World" post here, since I'm new. I've been doodling with maps and such on pencil for years, since I generally started playing D&D. Its difficult for me to translate that to any form of image on my computer, since I seem to be functionally illiterate when it comes to mapmaking software/drawing on the computer.

I have access to Photoshop 7 and CC3, but I choose not to have CC3 installed on the computer because I'm not too happy with how it looks. I'm looking for any help on how to get started to make decent, realistic maps.

I also want to say how awesome the work on this site is. I feel a bit overwhelmed just being here.

Welcome thelettuceman! No need to feel overwhelmed, just take it in small steps and ask lots of questions. There are some great CC3 users here so poke around in the WIP and Finished Maps fora to see what others are doing with it. As for the realistic maps, are you looking for photorealism or just the layout to be realistic?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Hi, "TLM" (The Lettuce Man) So glad you found us. I agree with RP--maybe find a few maps you admire, then take a shot at your own maps & ask the Guild "How can I make my map look more like this map?"

Also, while I'm a Photoshop user myself, don't count out CC3 completely--we have some users who can do wonderful things with it!

Glad you found us!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Blog Entries

Hey, scan or photo some of the pencil / pen maps too. Its not exclusively digital here is it ? Or use some of the features of the digital tools most like pens if thats what your good at. I love pen and ink maps.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Welcome thelettuceman! No need to feel overwhelmed, just take it in small steps and ask lots of questions. There are some great CC3 users here so poke around in the WIP and Finished Maps fora to see what others are doing with it. As for the realistic maps, are you looking for photorealism or just the layout to be realistic?
    Well, for the "realistic maps", I'd like to do something along the lines of this: http://www.nativeflame.com/users/Dan...usra_Wilds.jpg from the Wizards Forum Epic Campaign Maps thread. Otherwise, I'd just like a decent map generated. It doesn't have to be photorealistic, I'd just like to have a map that I can develop myself, with the tools I have, that I'd like.

I believe we have at least one member that produces maps that look similar to that. It is hard to tell what application is being used though. That is a pretty slick looking map.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Hey LettuceMan! That map is definitely something to shoot for, and I think doable with a little practice and a lot of experimentation with different applications. The mountain rendering looks like a fractal landscape generator while everything else seems to be Photoshop with some layer styles. Check around on the forums here and you'll see examples of both those techniques.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast