Thread: how come it took me so long to find this place?

Default how come it took me so long to find this place?

Hello everyone.

I'm a PhD student in geography, with a life-long love of maps, mapping, mappers, mappees, etc.

I've been imagining worlds in my head since I was a kid, and lately have been trying to render those worlds visible to others. I've run into some problems, though, and googling for answers led me here.

Oddly enough, my research doesn't use cartography or GIS hardly at all (my ArcGIS skills are rusting away...), so the stuff I'm doing here is completely for fun--though I'm drawing on 10+ years of education and experience to do it.

I'm probably going to annoy people by asking questions about stuff... but I'm a well-rounded geographer and I'm pretty good at technical stuff, too, so I'll try to be an asset.

Oh, and I speak Arabic, so if anyone has any questions about the Middle East or Islam, I can probably answer them... even if the answer is "ma ba'raf" ("I don't know").

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

A man of rare talents - glad to have ya here.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Marhaba Jaell and welcome to the guild. I'm sure you sound like you will fit right in here. We have a lot of us who just love to make maps and we have a few who are the real deal geologist type stuff. The main thing that keeps us together is our love of maps and the art of maps.

If you have any questions feel free to ask or dig into the tutorials section. I for one am happy to welcome you here.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

All that matters is that you've found us in the end Make yourself at home, as we're sure you are going to be a very valued member.
    Regards,

RK

You probably turned left at Obsidian Portal instead of right. Happens all the time.

Welcome to the guild! Looking forward to your contributions! Your Arabic might be appreciated in the Reference forum, where there's a thread about cartographic terminology. Somewhere in there is a list of terrain features in languages other than English. It's got a decent quantity of Arabic in it already, but I'm sure it could use more!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Guild.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Welcome to the guild Jaell, I hope you find it helpful. I see you are in Ohio eh? Where abouts? (I am in the Dayton area)

Geography eh? I can honestly say I don't know any geographers. Far more respectable than those sleezy geologists (just kidding all you geologists out there )

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Have a nice stay. Someone who is actually knowing what he´s doing