Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS mountains from newbie for newbies

Default PS mountains from newbie for newbies

This small tutorial about making mountains (in exemple of one mountain) on global map. Using my methodics. It will take 9-12 steps.

1. Fist of all you must drow some background green or grey best.
    2. Then take simple 2 px round brush with opacity 85-95% and flow 40-50% and make very basic sketch of mountain.
    3. Chose black and make some primitive shadow.
    4. Then some more lines for relief.
    5. Make whole mountain darker and add some more details whith lines.
    6. Paint it with brown from one side.
    7. Dark brown in another side (do not remove all black by this)
    8. Add some primitive foothills of mountain.
    9. Add some more details by drak lines to mountain and foothills.

You can stop here.

OR...

10. More work whith black - detailed and accurate.
    11. Optional snow-hat for our mountain.
    12. Then image can be enchanted with more color and additional details or change it any way you want - taller, smaller, more snow e t.c.

I hope this will be useful at least for someone : )

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mnt_tut.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	34700  
    Last edited by Sergei Zybin; 03-29-2011 at 02:50 AM.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Good tutorial for hand-drawn mountains. But very work intensive. Of course, once you have some mountains you can use the clone stamp tool to create whole mountain ranges.

Yes, this is not fastest way. This is as problem, as reason... 99% my maps generaly hand(or mouse) drawn, withion any filters, textures, sophisticated brushes e t. c. This is not general trend of map-making, but I hope this can be helpful for someone. Cloning - variant, but with some leter redrawning. Thanks for this litte review : )

A nice extension to Hapimeses hand-drawn mountains tutorial that I found very useful for a WIP that I'll post up in a day or so. I like the cragginess that your technique provides to the mountain surface.

Nice tute It looks like it produces some very nicely styled results
    Regards,

RK

Tigon, Ryan K, thanks a lot!

But now Im little ashamed by discovered pro tutorial about same thing : )

Ach, there's loads of tutorials about how to hand-drawn this and that. They all provide valid information (from what I've found so far) and every extra insight into a technique or variation is welcome. Even the ones that make you think "Gahhh! I definitely don't like that style." will be someone else's cup of tea.

Like I said, the Hapimeses' tutorial got me started on my WIP but I may well be using your tips to augment it. So thanks for that.

Thats right, I see. Well, thanks for this explonation and you kind opionion : ) Now I become inspired to make another small tutorial, about forests of town icons on map may be.

The thing is, people judge tutorials by the results they are advertised as achieving. I'm as guilty of that as anyone, I reckon. You have in mind a specific style, method of colouration, for what your final output will be and that can predetermine what kind of tutorial someone is likely to follow as much as what software package your using would. Tutorials are not something that is merely "how to get from A to B", but instead is "how to get from A to B by following this path" or "do ya really want to go to B? What's wrong with C, for heaven's sake? Anyhoo, here's how you get there".

Also, the more tutorials you have for any given concept, such as how to make 'hand-drawn' mountains in photoshop, someone who is learning to do it for the first time may try out several different ways on how to get from A to B (or C, for you adventurous types), and if they do have a good crack at all these different types, they will begin to learn the similarities between the methods and also how different inputs produce different outputs. With this knowledge, they can experiment with their own style and come up with their own method of getting to where they want to go or produce different but equally aesthetically pleasing results. And hopefully, they will write some of that down and come up with their own tutorials

The more tutorials, the better Keep churning them out because they will never be unwelcome.
    Regards,

RK

Oh, that nice explanation with philosophic view on problems. And very positive. Thank you very much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast