Thread: Silverstaff Redux

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member

Map Silverstaff Redux

Finally have decided how I am going to go about building my campaign world. It'll be a hodge-podge of different styles and tutorials from CG with some ideas of my own. I'll be working in Photoshop CS4, Fractal Mapper 8 and, most likely, GIMP. The oceans and land masses have been done in Fractal Mapper 8. This image shows the entire campaign area:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silverstaff.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	3.10 MB 
ID:	34709

There will be 60 sections to do in detail. This will be a long work in progress!

Fractal Mapper is the base. This will be where I figure out mountain ranges, long rivers, the main lakes [other than the inland sea] and large tracts of forested land so I can draw a rough sketch on the overall map, so when I split each section off I can get a contiguous/continuous flow to my work.
    Photoshop CS 4 will be where I work on the terrain in detail. I will be borrowing ideas from Zaramis' Relatively Realistic Mountains and Pasis' Rising up the mountains in Photoshop tutorials.
    Once each section's terrain is done, it will be uploaded back into Fractal Mapper 8 for finishing touches: Cities, towns, keeps, political boundaries, text, etc.

That is the plan. I'm sure I'll get sidetracked trying to figure out problems I cannot even imagine at this stage. But that's the fun right?

Finally, I won't post the individual sections in this post. They will have their own WIP/Map post with their own map, labeled "Name [Silverstaff]". I will link each to this thread however. Feel free to drop C&Cs on me.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thats a very ambitious project. I look forward to watching it develop
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Member

Wip

Have 8 of 60 sections done at least in roughdraft. The great thing about this project is that I can really get in to do some detail work. The first file is the overall map with the second file showing the eight map section I have finished zoomed in a bit.

As always, I'll take advice and comments.

Name:	Silverstaff1A.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	3.13 MB 
ID:	39676

Name:	Maps 41-54.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	39677