Thread: New Big City (unnamed as yet)

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip New Big City (unnamed as yet)

Why do I keep doing this to myself?.... I actually got the inspiration for this from Ravells great OPDC entry Here. I liked the angularity of the city walls and decided I wanted to try. I don't know how "fancy" this will get (I'm leaning toward a one color scheme at the moment) I'm pretty busy with other things at the moment also but I'll try to keep up with this. The one thing my cities lack is a "coherent" street layout. I tend to build these great "mazes" which I like but are obviously a nightmare to navigate. I am trying not to end up with a great "grid" of streets however, I'm looking for a bit more of a "Hmm lets put a street here because old Jaddin's shop burned down and the Dungsweepers need to get into that alley" kind of feel. We'll see how it goes....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big City .jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	34711
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

great start. I always have a hard time doing the wall lay outs.

Blog Entries

Thanks. I use GIMP so I use the lasso tool to define the shape of my walls and then use the border tool to make them. That way I always have a straight line (unless I don't want one)
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Wip

I finished the streets and added space for a castle and a market. The drop shadow isn't ideal but I'm going to leave it for now until I decide whether or not I going to"super detail" this.

Views:	83 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	34795

Finished Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Not too shabby, man. I like some of those building shapes. You might want to give the market the same treatment as the other buildings just so that it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Speaking of which, why do sore thumbs stick out? Mine never does. Shrug. In a weird mood tonight.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Not too shabby, man. I like some of those building shapes. You might want to give the market the same treatment as the other buildings just so that it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Speaking of which, why do sore thumbs stick out? Mine never does. Shrug. In a weird mood tonight.
    My thumb is sticking out from cramping drawing all these paths for these labels

I started to label the streets and open areas. I also followed Ascension's advice about the market. I think I've decided to place this city in the Iron Kingdom of my Arlion map (hence the "Iron" references in the street names)

Views:	84 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	34805

Finished Maps

The building shapes are great but to me there's not much coherence in the way the buildings are aligned except on the main roads. It might be worth thinking about having a minor road network with buildings aligned to the street ...